Sign in to follow this  

Oil Filter - Every or Other Time?

Not to be cheap, but instead of changing my oil every ten hours with filter do you think it would be better to change it say, 5 hours and filter every ten(10)?

Having clean oil is far, far more important. A filter "filters better" as it starts to plug up, but it would take thousands of hours to even approach that point.

It is not remotely possible to plug your filter in 5,10, or even 100 hours, you decide.....

Incidentally your oil is still clean at 10 hours. I think it's a waste of money to exceed the Mfr recommendations in this case.

So what you're saying is if I change my oil every hard 5 hours (anal) and filter every other oil change, I should be more than fine?

I've been on CRFs since November 01, and I have always changed my filter every other time. Oil gets changed every 300 miles. Zero valve problems to date (knock on titanium).

I'm assuming you change both sides when you do change?

I would recommend change both oil and filter everyother ride. I know its expensive but it will save you in the long run. I ride a crf 250 05 and thats what i do. I buy my filters 7 at a time on ebay. This guy sells the hi-flo kind and they work great. Either get them there or buy a life time filter from Ready Racing Oil Filters. Thats my next investment and it comes with a oil filter cover. :applause:

Any links to the ebay sites for oil filters? I'm paying 15$ canadian per change... and it's too much.

Ya i know they went up but hey its still a deal. The life time filters fun about 59 dollars and all you have to do is wash the filter everytime i think thats my next one not sure yet though. I still have 13 filters left so i think ill wait. LOL

I change both my oils and my oil filter every other ride. I race and practice at race speed, so fresh oil is really important when your giving that motor all its got. I have had zero valve problems too.

I change the oil on both sides just about every other ride. I clean my filter everytime I change the oil. I have one of those CRT Stainless filters. No problems.

I do an engine oil, transmission oil and oil filter change after everyride. Using all genuine Honda parts, no problems to date but my vavles do require re-shimming.

I would recommend change both oil and filter everyother ride. I know its expensive but it will save you in the long run. I ride a crf 250 05 and thats what i do. I buy my filters 7 at a time on ebay. This guy sells the hi-flo kind and they work great. Either get them there or buy a life time filter from Ready Racing Oil Filters. Thats my next investment and it comes with a oil filter cover. :applause:

Roger that!

So what you're saying is if I change my oil every hard 5 hours (anal) and filter every other oil change, I should be more than fine?

YES...to answer your question. I change my oil every 2 rides or 4-5 hours, both sides. I change the filter every other ride, sometimes every third ride....

I get my oil for free (Shell Rotella-T 15w40) so cost of changing often :applause: is ahh, pretty cheap...

I do an engine oil, transmission oil and oil filter change after everyride. Using all genuine Honda parts, no problems to date but my vavles do require re-shimming.

How do you afford it? Every ride? :applause:

I have to just spend out on the parts, but get some discount because I work for a motorcycle dealership. But I always use fully synthetic as well.

YES...to answer your question. I change my oil every 2 rides or 4-5 hours, both sides. I change the filter every other ride, sometimes every third ride....QUOTE]

Same hear. Rap you are getting pretty bilt there.