Sign in to follow this  

Hey Burned, Kudos-to-u, questios for ya

New CRF 450X, been foolin with the carb and seem to have an imbalance.

OEM was way lean, and plug confirmed. Installed the JD kit and tuned it for best performance. The bike runs much, much better. The only thing that needs improvement as performance go's is that on rapid movement to WOT I get a very slight lean bog, allmost non existant. I purchased the #65 leak jet but have not installed it.

However The plug now shows a moderate to severe rich condition. In tuning it was as if there were only two resultson the plug readings, lean/ rich. However the performance changed in every step with every change made.

I am inclined to let it run rich as this is where the engine likes it, but I would like to here your thoughts on this as well as the leak jet mod. :applause:

trying to gain any info from spark plug color with modern fuels is usually pretty futile.

if you zipping around try to tune AP in and out of the throttle constantly the plugs will "look" rich.

what size is the stock leak jet?

OEM leak jet #70.

As for my plug inspection, well it's a lot of work to get the plug out so I have only been looking at it periodicly. When I do inspect it I shut down the engine at cruse speed after .5 mile burst.