Tranny Lock Ups

1.) Talked to Rod's Power Sports 402-423-6230 Wayne - Service Manager

The CRF450X that had the Tranny Lock up was converted to a ROAD BIKE....

5th gear is the "Problem" area..

The dealership step up to the plate and at NO CHARGED rebuilt his Tranny....

When you buy a OFF ROAD BIKE and convert it to go 65mph for extended times down a HWY you should expect all types of problems..

The CRF450X was built as a OFF ROAD High Performance Motorcycle , NOT a street bike. (just like a cr500 or a cr250)

The Tranny Oil and Engine Oil needs to "Bounce Around" in order to lubricate, that is how Honda builds all there off road Motorcycles...

Super Motard: has Jumps and Off road sections :applause:

I would like to call and talk to any Dealership or Magazine that Claims they have had a TRANNY Problem....

There is suppose to be 3 other bikes that had Tranny Problems, can we get the Dealer/Magazine Name Number Posted ?

Right........so in order to lubricate my engine and tranny I "have" to ride somewhere with jumps and bumps. Honda engineers sure are smart. Wow...that would explain why they use these bikes for flattracking. Ask Nicky Haden how his bike is allowed to oil itself with no jumps and bumps. Guess he got the factory works bike with an actual oil pump. Anyone know how I can get a oil pump? Does mother honda sell them to non factory riders?

I love your analogies but the fact is my WR400 sustained 100+ mph beatings on my local expressway for over 2 years on a weekly basis. It outran a roadstar 1600 start to top gear. But I guess that was a fluke as yamaha builds theirs to actually run with or without jumps and bumps.

Wonder why australian CRF450X's come ready to put on the road? Hmmm.....thanks for solving the locked up tranny problem Einstein!

When you buy a OFF ROAD BIKE and convert it to go 65mph for extended times down a HWY you should expect all types of problems..

Really? Why is that? How do you explain the countless SM bikes at my local track (most don't even have a cush drive) that have 100+ laps and zero problems?

The Tranny Oil and Engine Oil needs to "Bounce Around" in order to lubricate, that is how Honda builds all there off road Motorcycles...

:applause:?:eek:??????:mad:

Super Motard: has Jumps and Off road sections :snore:

Not at my track, they run w/ everybody else on track days and race the sport singles class on race days.

Hey, 'daptor, if I buy a CRFX, and if I frag the tranny and post about it here...

...please don't call me.

How about we cut our fellow member trackadaptor a little slack here guys...

We are all aware that we get "troll" posts from time to time, people making things up or exaggerating situations etc etc I get tired of reading some of this stuff too, not to mention I also get suspicious of some posts

As for going mile after mile at constant high constant speed, and comparing that to any kind of racing (corners, accelerating, brakes, turns etc etc) you really cannot compare those two situations, they put completely different loads on a tranny, don't agree?? take a look at any street bike vs a dirt bike tranny, can't see the diference? then you are not qualified to comment on the subject.

This is getting boring... :applause:

Right........so in order to lubricate my engine and tranny I "have" to ride somewhere with jumps and bumps. Honda engineers sure are smart. Wow...that would explain why they use these bikes for flattracking. Ask Nicky Haden how his bike is allowed to oil itself with no jumps and bumps. Guess he got the factory works bike with an actual oil pump. Anyone know how I can get a oil pump? Does mother honda sell them to non factory riders?

I love your analogies but the fact is my WR400 sustained 100+ mph beatings on my local expressway for over 2 years on a weekly basis. It outran a roadstar 1600 start to top gear. But I guess that was a fluke as yamaha builds theirs to actually run with or without jumps and bumps.

Wonder why australian CRF450X's come ready to put on the road? Hmmm.....thanks for solving the locked up tranny problem Einstein!

The aussie CRFs come with a MASSIVE YELLOW STICKER saying that this motorcycle is NOT DESIGNED FOR HIGHWAY RIDING WHATSOEVER.

The CRF is not "made" for the highway however it has been adpated well to highway usage.

I'm not sure any of us can categorically state that this is a black and white issue. Clearly some fellows are having their transmissions destroy themselves.

I think Honda has an EASY fall back position saying not designed for road usage at all. In Australia not sure that the big yellow sticker would mean much in court for when someone takes them to court after their gbox shits itself. The fact that the bike comes ready for the road is clealry an indication whether Honda Australia like it or not that the bike "could" be ridden on the paved surface, yet the wasn't designed for it. The judge would probably state that the bike probably should not be sold for road going duties in the first place.

(yes yes we have ****ing ridiculous laws in Australia which require a CRF etc to have FULL road going capability from the factory otherwise it cannot be ridden legally in state forests etc.) Sooo all the manufacturers build their offroad bikes with full rad gear (as you see on our websites)

1.) Talked to Rod's Power Sports 402-423-6230 Wayne - Service Manager

The CRF450X that had the Tranny Lock up was converted to a ROAD BIKE....

5th gear is the "Problem" area..

The dealership step up to the plate and at NO CHARGED rebuilt his Tranny....

The CRF450X was built as a OFF ROAD High Performance Motorcycle , NOT a street bike. (just like a cr500 or a cr250)

Super Motard: has Jumps and Off road sections :applause:

I would like to call and talk to any Dealership or Magazine that Claims they have had a TRANNY Problem....

There is suppose to be 3 other bikes that had Tranny Problems, can we get the Dealer/Magazine Name Number Posted ?

I think this is the most retarded post in the history of ThumperTalk. Is this the line of crap that Wayne fed you?

Don't people ride the XR's all the time on the freeway? You don't usually hear of this problem with the XR. Maybe they have a different transmission?

Yes, I converted my 94 XR600 to dual purpose use. It had a stock transmission and ran great for years.

Yes, I converted my 94 XR600 to dual purpose use. It had a stock transmission and ran great for years.

Hang on a sec. the XR has massive oil capacity, could probably run on diesel and it as wide as the nullabor and as heavy as fat albert. (I won one to)

XRs do have "weak" gearboxes. The 600 was known for 3rd going at 10,000km because we spedn all day there.

Hang on a sec. the XR has massive oil capacity, could probably run on diesel and it as wide as the nullabor and as heavy as fat albert. (I won one to)

XRs do have "weak" gearboxes. The 600 was known for 3rd going at 10,000km because we spedn all day there.

10,000km? This guy is talking about a 9 mile drive to work.

Oil capacity has nothing to do with it. True, the crf has less oil capacity so it's oil will break down quicker and need to be changed more often, but you certainly don't need to pull over in the middle of a 9 mile drive to work to change your tranny fluid.

Everytime I change my transmission fluid on my crf - it looks like it came out of the bottle. I'm sure it could go a while without changing (or at least longer than the engine side).

CRF450X Hold 653cc of Tranny Oil - just like the CR250 - CR500

XR250 - XR650L Holds 1.6 Quarts of Engine/Tranny Oil

XR650L has a Engine/Tranny Oil Cooler

Yamaha's Holds 1.6 of Engine / Tranny Oil Just like the Honda XR's

The NEW 2006 Yams and Suz and Kaw have all gone to the Honda type Engine / Tranny Oil Design System - It Lighter ! :applause:

Want to change your OFF ROAD bike to a Street Bike, then you better purchase a Engine and Tranny Cooler..and inform Honda that your doing so...

Joe Racer Products makes a Engine Cooler, it does increase the oil volume...

408-924-0139 / 408-976-9796

Would like to get the other 3 CRF450X bikes that blew there Tranny info. on this Post... Name Phone Number of Delaer or Magazine... Please :eek:

Again my point is, if you post a REAL PROBLEM , it needs to be stated with all the facts.. phone numbers / names - what you did to the bike etc.

?

HONDA CRF 450-250 R-X // OIL COOLER/FILTER

$249.00 INCLUDES FILTER/COOLER, ADAPTER, HOSE FITTINGS AND HARDWARE

BRINGS OIL CAPACITY TO .9 LITRES

Super-Moto cooler available mounts behind left number plate

wow i didnt know 1.6 liters was lighter when it was seperated into 2 halves- the oil system in the rmz and yzf is considerably differenent than the CRF. As for the cop out excuse of why the tranny failed on the CRF- thats laughable at best. Hondas typically have pretty strong trannies- maybe it was just a defective gear. The tranny spinning at 30,000 rpm should be causing enough agitation for the oil to be sloshed around plenty. The only factor of street use is the added traction causing tranny wear but thats very minor.

• 1 month later...
You have given the most usable information that i have read on this subject, it is much appreciated. As for the WR deal I ride red and ride with confidence!

well what i have came up with on the crf trany ( wheather it be the 250r-x or the 450 r-x )

the engineers made the trany sit high above the oil to lessen oil drag, costing horse power.

now they made little pockets in the case that would drip and distribute small amounts of lub to the 2 shafts ,( only if the trans was filled correctly in the first place )---and the two shafts have been shimmed and fitted together tightly ( trying to make a bulletproof shifting unit ), but compounding the oil getting to the bushings and interior of the shafts :D

but all this was designed for the least amount of fluid drag possable( you should see what i do to the bottom of a fuel altered funny car for no fluid drag ) for mx and single track,

so ----yes on a highway usage situation you may have a problem.( i know it is stupid and doesent sound correct,--but they will weld together )

but however

i have had 2 failures now on 450's--------one was and r and one was a x and i know also that Ronnie Hamp had one fail on the dyno,

i have just made acoupple of oiling mods on 3rd, 4th and 5th gears, kinda like you would see on a street bike tranny , and increase the oil capacity in the gear box ( witch alot of people were and still are doing )

and they seem fine now ,----the x has gone twice as far as it went before and it is still fine,

the r is getting ready for the worcs season, so i will find out real quick on that on here shortly !