Sign in to follow this  

Rookie Questions

I have an '02 CRF 450 and it is time for a new top end. What would you guys do? Would you use stock parts? Weisco piston? Steel or Ti valves? I am leaning towards all OEM and letting her be a new bike without any alterations. I have read that the '03 piston was better than the '02. Any truth to that?

Also I have one more question. I have a zip-ty air mixture screw on my bike and I have no idea how to use it. I ride in the mountains and my bike does not run as well the higher I go. Do I turn the screw in or out as I climb with elevation. I have never used it, just because I was affraid to mess up the bike and get stuck 30 miles from home.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know these are rookie questions, so be nice. Nothing worse than looking like an idiot in front of 500 Honda fanatics.

well oem stuff is fine.--i like oem valves and springs, or Ron hamps 187 cam and stock valves and Ron's springs

the 04 was the piston you want, 12.0 vs 11.5 or so.

i like the je 13.5 piston,

and the fuel screw is just idle and 1/16 to maybe 1/8 throttle co setting,

when going up in altitude you will want to close it off some and go to a smaller main.

the 02 is a great bike---i really liked mine.

I'd get RHC stainless valves (way cheap compared to OEM) and an '04 piston, obviously with all the other required parts and pieces.

SS valve sound like a good idea but I did Ti and have been happy. The cam is money well spent if you feel like you need more power. 04 piston is good