Sign in to follow this  

Dead Bike...wont Start

:applause::eek:๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜›:mad::snore:

Started the bike, an 02 E, ran for a second, died, hit the button again....nothing. Blown fuse. Replaced the fuse, started again then died. Blew another 10 amp fuse. Same process...died again. Fuse didnt blow this time, but nothing on the starter again. The lights work, and I have done nothing different since I added a tailight and Trick Dual Sport headlight kit. It started and ran fine for weeks. Now this. The poor idle is the jetting I was planning to finish today. But I have done nothing other than this. Checked all the connections, they look fine, no bare ones, etc. Do these things have a starter relay? That was a problem I had on a VFR once. Think I'll push it off in the Bay and call my insurance agent......All you thumper geniuses out there, got any advice? :snore::snore::snore::snore::snore:

Yea. Take a break. Think about the problem logically and then go look for the problem. Sounds electrical. Fuses do not blow for no reason. There was a short or hi current draw to blow the fuse. Now maybe something has gone open. There is a starter relay. You can jumper to operate that but I would look for other problems first. As always, look for ground return problems first. They get ya every time. I would suspect some problem in the kit you installed. 10 amp fuse is a little small for a dual sport, but that is not the immediate problem.

I would inspect your wiring and connectors for a ground or short.

If you think the problem is with the kit, then remove the 20 amp fuse from the power line at the battery. Since the Trick Dual Sport kit does not turn on and off the bike, and we share no wires with the bike, I bet it can't be the kit. Pull the 20 amp fuse and continue trouble shooting the bike.

Call me if you have any questions. 661-268-1094.

Dale

I dont think it's the kit. It has worked perfectly up to this point. It must be something grounding out or a bad relay maybe... I havent had time(as usual) to work on it yet(friggin work) always gets in the way.

Are you sure you did not pinch the harness at the steering neck? I understand this is common...especially after messing with the harness. Turn the wheel back and forth while trying to start it. If it tries to start in some positions and not in others...you will have narrowed it down to an intermittent ground, related to the movement of the steering.

Another reason to ditch the clutch start switch, which was the problem. :applause: