Sign in to follow this  

450X Trans issue...

This whole thing is like DeJaVue...

Its like the intake valve issue all over again...

Some guys have it, some guys dont...

I'd bet that the transmissions that fail are going to be a small percentage of the total bike sales.

Im seeing like this:

Guy is excited out of his mind with a brand new bike, a new Honda...legendary reliablitiy...takes it out and hammers the crap out of it and the trans for some reason pukes....harsh end to elation.

Guy is pissed. He spent 7K of hard earned cash and has a good reason to be pissed. This pissed off guy sounds off, again with good reason.

8000 bikes later another bike with the same manufacturing flaw rolls off and the scenario repeats itself.

I dont think this trans deal is a wide spread problem. But for the guys that have it, its a bitch...

I think if I was going to buy an X, Id ***** foot the thing around (after I got the ring broken in) for 200 miles or so before I went balls to the wall in top gear for an extended period. Even if you were just cruising in 3rd and 4th, the trans is a constant mesh...all the gears spin all the time...

Id also over fill the trans a bit, just like I do to my CRF just to make sure...

I heard from a friend whos cousin met a guy at the track that heard about someone that had the frame on his 450X fail because he was running the wrong sparkplug.

And that, dear friends, is why there seems to be so many problems with 450X transmissions.

I heard it was the correct spark plug, it was gapped incorrectly.

its just not in the xs it happend to my brand new 05 crf450r. 2nd ride out. :applause:

This whole thing is like DeJaVue...

Its like the intake valve issue all over again...

Some guys have it, some guys dont...

I'd bet that the transmissions that fail are going to be a small percentage of the total bike sales.

Im seeing like this:

Guy is excited out of his mind with a brand new bike, a new Honda...legendary reliablitiy...takes it out and hammers the crap out of it and the trans for some reason pukes....harsh end to elation.

Guy is pissed. He spent 7K of hard earned cash and has a good reason to be pissed. This pissed off guy sounds off, again with good reason.

8000 bikes later another bike with the same manufacturing flaw rolls off and the scenario repeats itself.

I dont think this trans deal is a wide spread problem. But for the guys that have it, its a bitch...

I think if I was going to buy an X, Id ***** foot the thing around (after I got the ring broken in) for 200 miles or so before I went balls to the wall in top gear for an extended period. Even if you were just cruising in 3rd and 4th, the trans is a constant mesh...all the gears spin all the time...

Id also over fill the trans a bit, just like I do to my CRF just to make sure...

Shawn I noramlly agree with all you post and maybe I am far to new on the 450 scene but fairs fair.

I think the context of gboxes blowing up would be more of "rider comes from good maintenance background, knowlege of awesome Honda reliability, seen the mods to the 450X over the R to enable more offroad friendly machine (such as increased oil capacity/larger gears etc) and thought the bike should be aok, especially since 450R rioders have been doing SM for years. Now when gabox shits itself he thinks, well I gotta post on thumpertalk and get some discussion happening.

I think it's normal to post bad things/problems your having about your particular bike as TT is such an awesome discussion forum for fixes and advice from you, rapture, TFB,RHC, Burned and Bacon letting us know what does and doesn't work. I think that yes the incident rate of gboxes blowing up maybe low but who knows. I think if enough posters start posting their gboxes blow up then yes it is a matter and most astute TTers will be able to read through the "no maintenance type fellow" (who you could expect deserves the problems) from the "did nothing wrong and yes the bike does have a problem fellow". Once the numbers get up for this issue then it is a bona fide problem that we as other riders need to be made aware of and act accordingly. I may change the style of my riding now from less hard acceleration on tarmac cause of what I have been reading of late. (even though I ride an r.)

The more genuine information posted on these forums the better. I don't think you really realise how much people have learned from you, rapture, TFB,RHC, Burned and Bacon and that more discussion is important. I dont think writing it off just yet is the answer.

its just not in the xs it happend to my brand new 05 crf450r. 2nd ride out. :applause:

Hang on flynn didn't you the baja designs gearbox?

Dont misunderstand...Im not writing it off.

But a couple guys on here are acting like its the end of the world and for some it could be...having the trans lock up @WOT could forseeably kill your ass in the right circumstances.

My thought was morre towards the length of time the X has been out and the number of trans posts we've seen so far. Im counting four.

Im kind of curious as to how many X guys there actually are? Im not pointing any fingers here..

Four transmissions out of ....call it.....4000 bikes?

It could be that little, it could be a hell of a lot more too...we just dont know yet.

I seem to remember more than one R puking a trans too...

trans problem bull shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!