Sign in to follow this  

How do I pull a stripped screw? Front master...

The front brakes on my 400 turned into a sponge so I decided to bleed them.

Unfortunately, one of the Phillips head screws on the front master cylinder was extremely worn down (and this was the shop’s fault) which is why I do all my own tune up stuff now. I tried to get the screw out but stripped it entirely. It is a countersunk screw.

There’s got to be some way to get this out. I’ve thought about drilling it out with a dremel or drill, but this strikes me as a bad idea—the possibility of damaging the threading is high—this could likely ruin the master.

The other possibility is to break or cut the lid of the master, and then spin it around so that the screw will come out with it. This will cost me a new master lid and screw, but not risk the whole master due to damaging the threading.

Last idea: Take it into the shop and let them fight with it. They have more better tools than me and may know how to skin this cat. I haven’t been too pleased with their work in the past but they may be the most time and cost effective solution for this problem.

I am all ears on this one…

Lastly, why does Suzuki use such s*** hardware. All their screws frickin’ melt!

theres a special tool and process for this...but i think youre better off taking it to the shop, if they screw up they cant just give it back to you and say "sorry we couldnt get the screw out" and if THEY mess something up...then THEY replace it.

Use a good #2 bit in a speed handle w/ a little valve grinding compound on the tip of the bit. Have someone hold the bars firmly so you can push down hard on the speed handle, then using tighten and loosen back and forth motion a few times should get it out. If you have to get the short snap-on screw extractors, not the long shitty craftsman ones, they work very good. If you dont have a snap-on dealer you can order on line.

1st try an impact screwdriver with a good tip (Snap-On).

If that does not work then drill just the head of the screw, remove the lid, and then remove the rest of the stud left in the master cylinder.

Replace with new model specific master cylinder screws only.

Actually they can tell you that they can't get the screw out and that you should buy a new master cyl from them.

A machine shop might do a better job than a motorcycle shop.

Here are some options...

Drill down through the center of the screw and use an "easy out" to remove it. There are a variety of these removers that will work on small screws.

Use a screw remover that is intended for a drill. These look sort of like a drill but work with LH rotation. As they drill into the screw, they bite and tend to remove the screw.

If you loctited the screw, then heat may be necessary. Cured Loctite breaks down at around 500F. I have welded pieces of metal to the tops of screws before and then removed them with ViseGrips. I generally make a small tube and weld it through the center to the screw with my wire or TIG welder. I would try the other two methods first and use the last one if the screw has loctite that may prevent it from being removed with those methods.

None of these methods are fool proof, but a machinist will probably be better at this job than the typical bike mechanic.

If that does not work then drill just the head of the screw, remove the lid, and then remove the rest of the stud left in the master cylinder.

Replace with new model specific master cylinder screws only.

wow this seems like a simple way to do it....!

I'll try to drill off the top of the screw, remove the lid and then remove the stud with a pair of pliers...

I swear that shop uses loctite on everything and butter screws...I couldn't even get my freaking chaing guard off without stripping it and had to drill out the fricking screws...

PS --->> when you replace the new screws use teflon pipe thread wrap instead of loctite (the white tape stuff you can find it at home depot) .. This will keep the bolts from coming loose and make it much easier to flush your fluid in the future.

put a dab of jb weld on the head and stick the head of a philips bit in it before it hardens then after it hardens, put a screw driver in there and give it a twist. piece o' cake :applause:

put a dab of jb weld on the head and stick the head of a philips bit in it before it hardens then after it hardens, put a screw driver in there and give it a twist. piece o' cake :applause:

got it but it's totally stripped now, like "drilled out" stripped!

but this is what I'll do next time.

Take a ball peen hammer and tap the metal on the screw head toward the center to swedge the slots back together. Then take a good sharp #2 screwdriver and tap it in to the screw with the hammer. Between the tapping on the screw and tightening of the slots ... the screw should back out with no problem.

It looks like you have a lot of good ideas to try.

Since you say that you have completely stripped out the screwhead, try one of the Craftsman screw removers. That is what I was trying to think of before. They look sort of like a sharp left handed drill.

The larger sizes might even cut the head of the screw off for you to remove the cap as another TTer suggested.

A machine shop might do a better job than a motorcycle shop.

That's what I was thinking. In my experience, they are the pros at removing stripped hardware.

Mine did that and I just used an ezout. Just be careful with the drill.

Hey, I've stripped one of those screws before. I think the stock screws are made out of cheese.

What I did was:

Take a center punch and make 2 "dimples" on the head of the screw towards the outside edge, 1 at 12 o'clock, 1 at 6 o'clock. With the punch in one dimple, held at 45 degrees from verticle, and give it a few taps with a hammer. Repeat for a few taps on the 6 o'clock dimple. Go back and forth between the dimples a few times, gently tapping so that each tap encourages the screw to back itself out.

A little bit of penetrating oil will help things move along, too.

Once it's out, replace with some higher quality hardware.

If you've already stripped the hole, your knew answer is spelled "H E L I -C O I L."