Sign in to follow this  

case damage...what now?(pics)

while washing the bike (05 crf 450r)yesterday after thge 1st ride on new chain + sprockets, i noticed the case saver/front sprocket guard and the bolts were missing, along w/ this considerable damage 2 the case where the bolts thread in2

http://members.cox.net/angevange/case%20saver/DSCF0076.JPG

i bought a new case saver, but it would only be held in by the bolt on the bottom. b/c on the top, not only will it accept just a few threads...but also the case saver would have nothing 2 mount flush against 2 keep it aligned properly. here is a pic of the new case saver mounted

http://members.cox.net/angevange/case%20saver/DSCF0062.JPG

but i guess it would b better protection than none...right?? no oil is leaking presently, but i'm concerned about the effects of future damage due to the compromise in protection. any suggestion or ideas would be gr8tly appreciated.

I would run it as it sits. If no oil is leaking and all is working go for it. The worst that could happen is you'll have to do the case. You have to do the anyways. Sorry to see it busted but keep the chain lubed and adjusted, and run it :applause:

They are not too bad, I did one last year. The left side had engine numbers on it so Honda wouldn't give me the new one with out the old one then I had to go to DMV. I dont know about all bike as far as numbers

Check out Belzona's metal repair products. That seems like a pretty easy fix for there product. You can mold it in place with the bolt in it and it will automatically make the threads. Has similar properties to metal and is totally machineable. Expensive stuff but is in a different league compared to items like jb weld. Classic car guys use it because it looks original and passes tests that bondo would never have a chance for. I believe its Belzona 1111

you could try welding a piece on and then tapping it out for the bolt, but I would probably just run it as is

I would mix up some J/B weld and remold the area around the bolt.Some might scoff at the idea but I have done many"temporary"repairs on cases,forks,and stripped out threads in vital areas that have worked permanently,just allow plenty of cure time(24+hrs.)before disturbing the repaired area.You can file or grind to shape or clean things up after the stuff has cured.Doesn't work 100% of the time but often will if done properly. :applause:

I know it has nothing to do with what happened to your case but do you know on the CRF if you run an aftermarket chain it's strongly suggested you run a spacer on your front sprocket? If you don't the chain will wear into the case due to not having enough clearance.

did this happen as a result of a loose chain or did your chain break?

my chain didn't break and it was adjusted on the tight side of what the manual recommends, so i don't know. i'm definitley gonna run it as is b4 i go buyin' a new case halve. that belzona 111 stuff seems like a possible route. i thought the spacer was only needed for an O or X ring chain :applause:

thanx for the replies :eek:

This happened to me on my YZ, only the bottom bolt. I'm running a bracket from one of the side cover bolts to the case saver and it works well.

This happened to me on my YZ, only the bottom bolt. I'm running a bracket from one of the side cover bolts to the case saver and it works well.

side cover bolts? u mean u left tha case saver secured by just 1 bolt, or did u fabricate something?

if you or someone you know has an aluminum welder i would just weld it then drill and tap the weld?