Sign in to follow this  

klx300r against dr350

can anyone out there tell me how the klx300r stacks up against a DR350...

i understand that the klx300 stock comes choked up.. but after the few modifactions.... how will it stack up?

We have one of each. They are very different bikes. Both need suspension work to be very good off road. The KLX is far better in the tight stuff. Like Brewster said look at the weights. The DR would be my choice for running gravel roads, fire roads etc. Much more stable than the KLX.

Power wise the DR has an edge at low rpm, especialy just off idle. As the rpm comes up the KLX is maybe a little stronger. We've never actually ran them side by side, just seat of pants dyno BS.

OK so am i hearing that they are so different that you can't put one above the other..

and as far as power.. meaning thrill of spead.... which would you pick?

The DR will give you a thrill at speed with it's flexy chassis and soft-ish suspension. The klx has a stiffer chassis but a softish suspension. The klx reaps more rewards when modifying for offroad but the DR(dirt version) can be made to handle ok and put out ok power also. I have both with a highly modified klx and a somewhat modified DR350s. I won't compete with the DR in my tight whooped, woods but I'd cut trail, hang arrows or dual sport all day on it.

The Dr is OK, if it's the dirt model and has a 435 kit.Overall the KLX handles better but in the open you'll be looking for more power and gears.

well this weekend i'm going to be riding with some buds...i havea 05' klx300 one of the guys has a 96'(i think) dr350...... i'll see how they match up.... i'm keeping my fingers cross that i'm faster... after all when buds get together thats all that count's..i'll let you know how it turns out

I have a dr and a klx. The dr is a great dual sport, but a tank for any serious offroading stock. If you put a lot of money into it???....... I actually bought my klx because my dr was so scary for me offroad. When I got my klx the free mods had already been done and it felt like a racebike compared to the dr. And for not too much money you can upgrade the klx as you wish until you feel you need a really radical bike like a ktm five-two-five!

Remember, the dr 350 is a lot different than the drz-400!

B.

Before buying my sons KLX300 which has a aftermarket exhaust and carb, I had a 2000 DRZ it was a nice bike but felt very big and heavy compared to the KLX, it turned like a dream but it would wear you out when pushed for an extended period of time. The KLX feels like a feather compared to it, and I'm surprised at how well it performs once a few mods have been done. Borsy

My uncle who has a DRZ and then rode my KLX best described the DRZ standing for DEATH RIDE. Which is what it is after I rode it after riding my KLX for a day. It's a big heavy tank, the suspension isn't all that great, all you can do is stick to fire trails and roads.

my 2 cents

craig

My uncle who has a DRZ and then rode my KLX best described the DRZ standing for DEATH RIDE. Which is what it is after I rode it after riding my KLX for a day.

Hmmmm, no wonder my buddy with the DRZ wants to kill us after dragging him thru 50 miles of tight singletrack.

:applause:

I loved the DRZ motor, it was quiet and powerful but the bike was big and heavy, now I think the perfect all around bike would be if they stuck the DRZ 400 motor in the KLX frame, noooooo that would be to easy now wouldn't it.

I have a '98 KLX with about all the mods minus a big bore kid and I prefer riding my friend's '96 DR in the dez over the KLX. To me it handles better and is easier to get the front wheel up. To me the DR is about in the middle between my WR250 and KLX for the "fun factor".

Ric

Bike Weight (lbs) (Hp) (Hp/lb)

KAW KDX 200 238 26 0.109

KAW KDX 220 238 27 0.113

HON XR250 246 23 0.093

KAW KLX300 248 27 0.108

SUZ DR350 273 28.5 0.104

HON XR400 264 33 0.125

Well I'm Back With The Answer... I Went Out On My Guy's Once A Year 3 Day Ride... Hard Core Trail Riding And (50miles) And Logging Roads (45 Miles). I Was On My 2005 Klx 300 All Free Mods. Done Plus Head Pipe, Fmf,and Dynojet. One Of My Friends Had His 96' Dr350.... Answer To The Question. In A Straight From A Stop Race (about 130 Yards) It Was A Neck And Neck Race Every Time... From A 2nd Gear Rolling Start... The Same!!! And It Pains Me To Say That ..i Thought I Would Be Faster!.... But I'm A 225pounder He's 165'...... As For The Trails And Jumping And All Around Play...... The Klx Was Light Years Ahead In The "fun" Department...... But I Must Say That Old Rd350..... Is A Time Proven Great Trail Bike.....