Kick Start Help... Alternate Kick Start Lever

I have two crf's. An 80 for my 9yr old and a 100 for my 11 yr old daughters. It took a bit of experience, but we have learned how to quickly kick start the bikes after dropping and/or flooding them. It definitely gets easier with time and experience and we are not as frustrated as we used to be.

My 11 yr old daughter does it all on her own. She has to put down the side stand, but she can do it nonetheless without any help. This enhances both of our riding experiences.

But, my 9 yr old does not yet have it in her head that she can kick start the bike. I think that it is more mental than anything else. I will continue to work on this with her, but I am wondering if there is something I can do to make it easier for her.

Her biggest problem is that she says that the kick starter is too hard to push down. Is it possible to put a longer kick start lever on the bike to give her a bit more leverage? Is there a longer one that will bolt on easily. If she can just get it to turn over without having to work to hard, that would help her confidence a lot.

She used to ride a klx110 and that thing turns over so easily that you almost forget that you are doing it. The CRF80 is not as easy, at least not in the mind of my daughter.

I know that when I adjusted the clutch reach, it really made a big difference in their confidence. I want to do the same thing with the kick starter.

Any recommendations on a different kick start lever?

Thanks for any help

The problem is you probably have a stock pipe. The reason they (Honda) went to that style of kick starter is the old style would hit the heat shield. If you went to an after market pipe, you might (I said Might) be able to use the older style lever. On my conversions I used to run a klx300 lever, but my pipe was tucked in close. Some people used to use XR200 levers too.

On conversions, the klx300 tuck in real nice and a taller for more leverage. Also, on many conversions the throw is shortend by about 50%, so you don't have much to kick. However, I put my Two. Bros pipe on and checked the older kick starter lever. It still hit, but if you had the lever with the rubber piece, it might not clank as much. I don't know if it was any easier, but it might be for a little girl. The other thought would be add another base gasket on to lower the compression. A stock 80 has something like 9.4:1, so a extra base gasket would bring that down a bit, so that would definitely make it easier to start. That would only be about $10 in gaskets and a little bit of time.

I haven't considered pivoting the kick starter. I will look at that. However, I cannot envision it working as well as a longer lever would.

You do have a point in that the compression on the 80cc motor is good for riding, but bad for kickstarting (at least for 9 yr old girls)

Changing the base gasket.... are you basically refering to the gasket at the base of the cylinder or at the base of the head. I agree that this would reduce the compression noticable. However, for trailriding with a 70lb girl, this would still be acceptable.

Please clarify

(thanks for the input)

The base gasket goes under the cylinder. You would just add an extra one. I seriously doubt she would notice the difference. Although, it would be kinda cool if she said, "Dad, it doesn't seem to pull as hard our of turns." :applause:

I'm looking for an alternate kick start lever for my sons CRF 80 and a XR 100. The stock ones are alittle worn out and need to be replaced. I looking for something that will look better and work like the CR type kick start levers. Went to the honda shop and looked they didn't know what would fit. I've looked on line and no luck. I have an FMF pipe on one of the bikes. I've looked and the stock lever is about 7" long. ?? any ideas :applause:

Well, once I get an engine in my conversion bike, I am going to try to get an older style XR75 Kick starter. Is your younger daughter able to start the 100? Before I sold my XR80, it did seem like it was harder to start than the 100, and it also had some carb issues in certian elevations. Just a thought, but mabey an XR100 carb might help? :applause:

She can't start the 100. But then again, her confidence is really low. That is the biggest problem here.

But, there is no doubt that the 80 is harder to start than the 100. Its even harder for me to start.

As a last resort, I will move the carb and see what happens. However, I really object to the thought of having to tweak on a brand new kids bike just to make it more kid friendly to the kid who actually owns it.

... I'm over it now.

I wonder if the bike loosens up a bit after it breaks in a little more? It is only two months old and still has very low hours on it.

I think that I will buy an extra kick start and get it modified to give it additional leverage. I have already modified the clutch lever to make it work for kids hands. I just have to keep this attitude and approach in mind.

If you think the kick starting problem is mental try this little trick. Dump her off 5 miles from camp and tell her that the only way she's getting back is to start that bike up and drive it back. Now leave.

Two important points

1) The distance. NO LESS THAN 5 MILES. You don't want to ruin your dinner listening to crying.

2) Don't tell the wife.

If she's not at camp in the morning go pick her up, it wasn't mental.

Very, very interesting suggestion here. I might consider dropping the wife off 5 miles from camp, but never my daughter. The thought of this is blasphemy.

Surely you don't have a daughter.

I have already cranked up the idle a bit. That really helps while teaching how to use the clutch.

However, this is not a tuning issue. A longer lever would do it.

If only I were a fabricator, I would somehow make a kick starter for these bikes.