Sign in to follow this  

New hauler - '06 Chevy Express Van AWD 1500

Just ordered a new '06 Chevy cargo van to haul the bikes. All the bells and whistles which you just can't get off the lot in a cargo van. I got the AWD for our michigan winters. I'm hoping this thing will be a tank in the snow or mud. You can get 3 full size bikes in fairly easily. Anyone have experience with the Chevy Full-size AWD vans?

I've done the enclosed trailer thing, the full size truck thing and to me vans work best. I have a '99 GMC cargo van now and I love hauling with it. No trailer. No wet bikes/gear if it rains....

And the best part is I got darn near the employee price on it. The downside is I'll be waiting a few months for delivery. I don't even think the factory is operational yet.

you know even tho i don't like them,

i have lots of my Buddy's that just love them, my one buddy and his son have three apiece between them and would not have it any other way,

they are by far the best van out there

the awd stuff works good and is not hard to repair if you should have to .

i just never was a van person,

all tho i had my 1964 chevy van all fixed up to haul me to the races and i ran the hell out of that little thing for years :applause:

i had a bed and stove and a pot a potty in it , i was ok for one person.

Sounds nice, good of GM to offer AWD, is that a recent offering? Someday I would like to get an old diesel cargo van to convert to 4x4 and make it my go anywhere snow/surf bum van and toy hauler. Just can't be all the interior room of a van.

I know what you're saying. Full size vans are not as cool as a pickup. But they are more useful for a hauler. You can lock up your valuables securely, and sometimes I bring both bikes with me and leave one in the van depending on the riding area. For years the p/u was a better choice because of the 4 wheel drive issue, but with GM offering AWD in the full size I'm a big fan of the van. I ordered the left and right 60/40 swing out side cargo doors so access is easy. And in the used market there's nothing out there like this one. You just can't find any with all the options. They're usually stripped down to bare bones (roll up windows, manual locks) which is a bummer.

It's not my daily driver for work. It's just for play so the miles should stay fairly low. But for a weekend toy hauler it's hard to beat IMO. They're worth a look. The AWD's have been out for a few years now. With all the weight it should be great in snow. Can't wait to try it....

you know even tho i don't like them,

i have lots of my Buddy's that just love them, my one buddy and his son have three apiece between them and would not have it any other way,

they are by far the best van out there

the awd stuff works good and is not hard to repair if you should have to .

i just never was a van person,

all tho i had my 1964 chevy van all fixed up to haul me to the races and i ran the hell out of that little thing for years :applause:

i had a bed and stove and a pot a potty in it , i was ok for one person.

Can you post a pic of this '64 Chevy van? I'd like to see it....

My friend has a 15 passenger E 350 4X4 conversion with 35s, A dvd player, reunel bumpers and Warn M12000 winch, and a banks kit. The van rock. sweet choice u will be happy with it

Can you post a pic of this '64 Chevy van? I'd like to see it....

i supposed if i talked real nice to my x wife she might dig up a shot of the poor thing, i know there was a few shots of it,

but you remember those dam things, they were almost all "three on the tree",

they had a 194,-230,- or 250 mid engine straight six cylinder,

and mine was that ugly brown coper looking color,( most of them were that color), then there was that very rare covair one that chevy had ( it was almost the same ugly pos.)

and remember the dodge and ford had their versions of the dam thing and they all looked alike, ---( just buttttt ugly )

but it was all i had from about 65 to 69 and i just loved it .

and i think if i remember correctly that Ralph natter at the same time he was getting the corvair condemned for safety reasons he was also after that van because it was easy to flop on its side and had no brakes to speak of.

i think he killed both those chevys ?

god have things changes.

oh man i almost forgot through my years when i got back from south east asia, i had two vw busses,and a vw short bed pick up :applause:

a 21 window and a 17 window microbuss and one 3 door short bed pick up truck

wow i completely forgot about that weird stuff,

i could get my ace 90 and my 63 james ( with a 250 cc starmaker motor in the van ) or up on the truck and go to the races.

god maybe i am a van person 🙂

my god the real me just came out of the closet

i have to stop now I'm getting emotional and strange :eek:

What do you do with the height issue? Compress the front suspension? Do you find it a hassle loading and unloading?

What do you do with the height issue? Compress the front suspension? Do you find it a hassle loading and unloading?

I have a '99 now which I'll be selling soon. The height is not an issue on GM's. You don't have to compress the fork, not even close. If you have stiff fork springs and real tall handguards you have to watch them at the top of the rear doors, but even then once it's inside there is about 4 or 5 inches to spare before the roof. It's amazing how much room there is.

Loading is easier than a pickup. The van floor sits lower than a pickup bed so there is a far less incline when pushing it up the ramp. You can walk it in, no problem. And unloading is easier, too.

Thanks!

I looked at the spec of the Van (49.4in) and compared it to your YZ (50.9in). I figured that some compressing would be needed.

I forgot that the bike goes in at an angle and not straight in. If the handlebars were raised, it would be real close.

I'm looking at the Sprinter.

We looked at one at a dealer in Flint, MI. It was a GMC Savanna AWD, pretty much loaded out (swing out doors on both sides :applause: )and stickered for $37k. It had been on the dealer's lot for 8 months, unsold. We sat down to "do the deal", lease of course, and the numbers were WAY out of line. Come to find out, it loses 60% of it's value in the first three years :eek:

That was the end of that. Too bad, because according to the window it got decent mileage and of course loads of room inside.

We looked at one at a dealer in Flint, MI. It was a GMC Savanna AWD, pretty much loaded out (swing out doors on both sides :applause: )and stickered for $37k. It had been on the dealer's lot for 8 months, unsold. We sat down to "do the deal", lease of course, and the numbers were WAY out of line. Come to find out, it loses 60% of it's value in the first three years :eek:

That was the end of that. Too bad, because according to the window it got decent mileage and of course loads of room inside.

If it was $37K it was conversion. Not necessarily full conversion with seats but I've seen quite a few cargo conversions. That's way too high a price to pay for a cargo van in my opinion - you probably did the right thing. Take about $10K off that - that's what I'll pay.

As for the resale value - check auto trader. 5 year old chevy cargo vans are SELLING at around 50% of sticker. Maybe not quite as bad as you thought.

If you can wait, I prefer ordering the vehicle. You can get exactly what you want, and chances are lots of other people will want those features when you go to sell it used.

Funny on the van stuff. I've been driving my first ford econoline (150 short box) and love the thing. Nobody else quite gets it though.

I'm planning on buying a new e350 but keep waiting for the new ford body style.... been waiting 2 years now. Wel, it's supposed to be out in 07 so guess I'll wait some more. Praying they will have the 4 wheel drive option also.

Bad thing is I just wrecked my van and now I've got to make a move.... either fix the van or buy a new one.

Best thing about a van is that they keep the same body style for 10 or so years so you're always driving a "new" vehicle.

I have been driving around in a '94 e250 extended for over 2 yrs now. Just upgraded to a '02 e250 extended. Its the best way to go for me. I can keep all my gear/bike/etc in there and never have to worry about it when I am on the road. There is plenty of space and the bike, RMZ450 fits in it no problem with room to spare(height).