Sign in to follow this  

corbin seat

while at the MotoGP, i wandered into the Corbin display and what caught my eye almost immediately? a dr650 seat. it was for the stock tank and i checked it out, thought it was pretty cool looking and seemed built well enough. it was for the stock tank though and my plans are to get a bigger tank on down the line so i passed on it. although they were offering a discounted price at the races. anyway, i made it back to the display the next day and i decided to go for it. i payed $241 total for it and lugged it back to the bike for an immediate swap. it didin't come with the right bolts to swap the stock brackets over so right now it's on the bike but not correctly. i'll have to stop at a hardware store for the correct bolts. now for the driving impressions, it is instantly more comfortable to ride from the moment your as.., i mean butt, hits the saddle. it makes riding on the street seem like less of a chore and more enjoyable. i'm not planning on doing much dirt riding, wouldn't want to cut or scratch the new seat. but if any of you do any amount of street riding, get one of these seats, it is worth every penny, possibly more.

Do a search for corbin. It has been discussed here to hell and gone. Great seat! I too made the mistake of getting the seat first and the bigger tank later. Now I have the stock seat (Corbin) sitting in my garage. I have ordered the correct seat to fit the IMS and it should be here soon. I guess I'll sell the stock-tank seat on Ebay or something. Wish I had known you were in the market for the seat. Mine's practically brand new, about 250 miles, and I would have let it go for a lot less than 241. :-(

I don't know what you mean about the stock brackets not fitting? The seat (Corbin) should have had it's own bolts to be used with the stock brackets. Mine swapped right over with no fuss.

mine came with 4 short bolts that do not allow the complete bracket setup with all the rubber to be used. it was an impulse buy, saw it there and had to have it. i think i may find some other way to store exra fuel aboard the bike rather than getting the big tank.

I still don't get it. Complete bracket setup? Rubber? I wish I could see what you're talking about. :applause:

the mount that the original seat uses has two studs already in the seat pan at each bracket, where there is a large rubber bottom piece, then two metal sleeves where the studs go through, then the factory bracket that the seat mount bolts to the frame, then there are two rubber rings that go over the top of the bracket, then two washers and two nuts hold each bracket. if you've got a factory seat you can see the parts i'm talking about. my corbin seat came with no brackets whatsoever, but a drz seat had them installed already. maybe they were misplaced? i like the factory setup since it will isolate against vibes more than a solid mount, if that's what they are supposed to come with.

I just put my new corbin (stock tank) on last night. I ordered it right thru corbin. All I had to do was remove the 2 brackets from the stock seat and ,using the new bolts that were in the corbin, bolt them on the corbin. The stock seat had studs that the brackets mounted on, the Corbin had threads in the seat the bolts go in.

Man does it feel good.

The bike seems to be a little quicker to initiate turns. It also feels a lot smaller when you put your feet down. I am 6' and used to just be able to stand flat footed. Now I have a decent bend in my knees. Very noticible when you have to push it around parking and such