Sign in to follow this  

04 CRF250x tranny oil change gone terribly wrong

All right here is the story. Forgive me if this gets a little long. I just want to make sure I give you guys all the facts.

I pulled my 04 CRF250x outta my enclosed trailer last wendesday night to do a tranny and engine oil change. The last time the bike had ran was the previous Saturday were I did 50 miles of dual sporting / single tracking / MX riding. It has been a hot week out. Like 90+ deg. It is hot inside my black 5x8 enclosed trailer. I also have a Rekluse clutch in my X just for referance.

So I pulled the bike out of the trailer, pulled the skid plate off so as not to make a mess, and pulled the tranny drain bolt on the bottom of the engine. Out comes the oil right. I then take the fill plug out of the top of the engine so the trany can vent as its draining. So now its done draining. I slowly turned the motor over with my hand with the kickstarter to dislodge any remaining oil. I put the drain plug back in. I then took the sight bolt out of the side of the motor to prepare for filling the tranny. Only this time when I pulled the sight bolt out, oil starts coming out of the sight hole. &%$#@! I say. So I let it drain. I also pulled the main drain bolt back out. I slowly turned the motor over again. So now it is done draining all the oil out of both holes. I put the main drain bolt back in and tighten it.

So now I go to put the Honda tranny oil back in. I use the red bottle. The tall skinny one with the pointy tip. I usualy cut that tip short so it fits snugly in the fill hole and dont leak all over. In the past even with that it takes a bit to get all the oil in there as that fill hole is so small. Well I inserted the bottle in the fill hole (while having the bike on a center stand so it is sitting straight up and down) give the bottle a squeeze and a stream of oil shoots out the sight hole. Once again &%$#@!. The oil coming out is a mixture of dirty and clean oil. Well I give the bottle another 2-3 squeezes thinking that I may have got like 1/4 of the bottle in there and I look down and the entire thing has gone in the motor. &%$#@! again it never goes in that fast. So now I have a foot soaked by a stream of oil that has shot out that sighting hole and oil is oozing out of that hole. So having now overfilling the tranny I let it sit and drain out that sight hole to find its level. Once it stoped coming out I plugged it off and called it good. Strange but good.

So Saturday I went for a small ride maybe 15 miles of single track. Everything seemed fine.

Well Sunday I went dual sporting with a friend. We were in some deep sandy 2-tracks really working the clutch / motor and I keep thinking I am hearing an unusual noise. But I dismiss it as me just being supersticious. Well like 10 miles latter I start hearing this screech. I imediately killed the motor and coasted to the side of the road. Thinking that the noise may have been the ODO drive I restarted it in nuetral and there is the noise again. Its in the motor for sure. I pulled the tranny sight bolt out thinking of the funny tranny oil change, tiped the bike over and no oil comes out of the tranny. Empty. Holly hell...&%$#@!.

So I get towed to a gas station were I put almost a full quart of motor oil in the tranny (only oil I could get). This time it filled like it always has. Oil only came out of the sight hole once it was full. Turned the motor over slowly with the kickstarter to re-lube the clutch. And started it up. Sounded fine and clutch worked normaly. We headed back to the truck with no further troubles. We get to the truck and find the underside of the fender, rear tire, and rear rotor splatered in oil.

So far I havent pulled the bike out of the trailer to give it a once over and see if the tranny oil has gone down again from my 10 mile ride from the gas station to the truck. When I origionaly ran it dry I checked the motor over really good and there wasn't a drop of oil leaking anywere. After seeing all that oil splattered around when we got back I am thinking that it may have been from possible spilling some when filling it at the gas station with a paper funnel. Wind from dual sporting may have blown it back onto the tire which flinged it everywere.

I am hoping that this was just a fluke occurance. I dont think that I did any major damage to the tranny other than maybe slightly cooking the clutch. I am going to pull the clutch and check it out this week and make sure the gap is still ok. But I am not going to the tranny unless the bike gives me reason to do so.

Some more info. I checked the airbox. Thinking that maybe the oil on the back was from an over oiled airfilter (I just cleaned that also when I changed the oil) but the airbox was dry. I checked the engine oil thinking that the tranny oil may be somehow going in there. But that was right at the proper level.

Anyone have any ideas why this could of happened??

Oh and one more piece of info. I also opened the airbox up and did the pink wire mod last week. But havent rejetted it yet. It was hard starting Sunday when cold. Lean jetting I am sure of it. This I attribute to the stock 40 pilot. I am going to put a 42 pilot in and raise the needle 1 clip. I already have a 150 main in it for my FMF Q silencer. I am pretty sure that the jetting is going to fix the hard starting problem and doubt it has anything to do with the tranny oil troubles but just wanted to throw it out there for what its worth.

Could the tranny vent line be plugged creating pressure inside the tranny and blowing out the oil somewhere? Maybe that would explain why it shot out the side hole since the displaced air couldn't go out the vent.

I usually just drain tranny oil and then fill with 800cc. Never had the weep hole open when I was filling.

If I am correct, isn't the transmission oil drain bolt on the left hand side near the gear shift lever?

If I am correct, isn't the transmission oil drain bolt on the left hand side near the gear shift lever?

Yes it is. The engine drain plug is on the bottom/underneath.

Holly shit what a brainfart I had. I cant believe I am actually going to admit to doing this. I know exacly what happened.

Honda 0001 you put my brain back into gear. Thank you

I drained the bottom plug 1st right. Thinking that that was the tranny oil. I then overfilled the tranny with oil. Well I then pulled the other drain bolt by the shifter out and drained that thinking that was the engine oil. Then filled the engine oil. Well what I did was drain the tranny and never filled it. I ran that motor for like 25 miles with no oil in the tranny. Ohh that cant be good. Well I am pulling the clutch and draining the tranny oil tonight. We will see what damage I did. It sucks but at least I know what happened. You can bet that I wont make that mistake 2x.

I cant believe I did that. I know better. I somehow got that flipflopped around in my head. As soon as you said that a light clicked on and it hit me...DOH!!!!!!!!!!!

In the famious words of Chris Farley.....SON OF AH !!!!!!!

Thanks guys.

i see guys do this alot,so don't feel all alone.

i set the guys up with a premeasured bottle for the motor and the trans,

and i make them drain and fill both after every weekend ,

no weep hole stupid stuff, just dump both and fill both and your done!

then every 5 dumps i show them how to do the filter and it takes 4 0z more in the motor side.

i have done more cranks and trannys because of guys doing this.

I always drain everything (engine and tranny). They I premeasure my fluids with the "Factory Fill" bottles from Billywho. Some say its a waste of money, but man is my method foolproof. I know exactly how much I am putting in and the bottles are marked "Engine" and "Tranny". It makes changing the fluids so easy. Its worth the $29.95 for me!

YZman--do not drink beer before working on your bike!

YZman--do not drink beer before working on your bike!

More like dont work on bike while I am sleepwalking..... dude..... :applause::eek:🙂

wow thats alsmost funny... almost...but not haha funny, its "thats sucks funny" hope you didnt mess anything up too bad.

Holly shit what a brainfart I had. I cant believe I am actually going to admit to doing this. I know exacly what happened.

Honda 0001 you put my brain back into gear. Thank you

I drained the bottom plug 1st right. Thinking that that was the tranny oil. I then overfilled the tranny with oil. Well I then pulled the other drain bolt by the shifter out and drained that thinking that was the engine oil. Then filled the engine oil. Well what I did was drain the tranny and never filled it. I ran that motor for like 25 miles with no oil in the tranny. Ohh that cant be good. Well I am pulling the clutch and draining the tranny oil tonight. We will see what damage I did. It sucks but at least I know what happened. You can bet that I wont make that mistake 2x.

I cant believe I did that. I know better. I somehow got that flipflopped around in my head. As soon as you said that a light clicked on and it hit me...DOH!!!!!!!!!!!

In the famious words of Chris Farley.....SON OF AH !!!!!!!

Thanks guys.

hahahaha i would have never admitted to it, good job though. I hope nothen is wrong w/ it. Good luck

All right here is the story. Forgive me if this gets a little long. I just want to make sure I give you guys all the facts.

I pulled my 04 CRF250x outta my enclosed trailer last wendesday night to do a tranny and engine oil change. The last time the bike had ran was the previous Saturday were I did 50 miles of dual sporting / single tracking / MX riding. It has been a hot week out. Like 90+ deg. It is hot inside my black 5x8 enclosed trailer. I also have a Rekluse clutch in my X just for referance.

So I pulled the bike out of the trailer, pulled the skid plate off so as not to make a mess, and pulled the tranny drain bolt on the bottom of the engine. Out comes the oil right. I then take the fill plug out of the top of the engine so the trany can vent as its draining. So now its done draining. I slowly turned the motor over with my hand with the kickstarter to dislodge any remaining oil. I put the drain plug back in. I then took the sight bolt out of the side of the motor to prepare for filling the tranny. Only this time when I pulled the sight bolt out, oil starts coming out of the sight hole. &%$#@! I say. So I let it drain. I also pulled the main drain bolt back out. I slowly turned the motor over again. So now it is done draining all the oil out of both holes. I put the main drain bolt back in and tighten it.

So now I go to put the Honda tranny oil back in. I use the red bottle. The tall skinny one with the pointy tip. I usualy cut that tip short so it fits snugly in the fill hole and dont leak all over. In the past even with that it takes a bit to get all the oil in there as that fill hole is so small. Well I inserted the bottle in the fill hole (while having the bike on a center stand so it is sitting straight up and down) give the bottle a squeeze and a stream of oil shoots out the sight hole. Once again &%$#@!. The oil coming out is a mixture of dirty and clean oil. Well I give the bottle another 2-3 squeezes thinking that I may have got like 1/4 of the bottle in there and I look down and the entire thing has gone in the motor. &%$#@! again it never goes in that fast. So now I have a foot soaked by a stream of oil that has shot out that sighting hole and oil is oozing out of that hole. So having now overfilling the tranny I let it sit and drain out that sight hole to find its level. Once it stoped coming out I plugged it off and called it good. Strange but good.

So Saturday I went for a small ride maybe 15 miles of single track. Everything seemed fine.

Well Sunday I went dual sporting with a friend. We were in some deep sandy 2-tracks really working the clutch / motor and I keep thinking I am hearing an unusual noise. But I dismiss it as me just being supersticious. Well like 10 miles latter I start hearing this screech. I imediately killed the motor and coasted to the side of the road. Thinking that the noise may have been the ODO drive I restarted it in nuetral and there is the noise again. Its in the motor for sure. I pulled the tranny sight bolt out thinking of the funny tranny oil change, tiped the bike over and no oil comes out of the tranny. Empty. Holly hell...&%$#@!.

So I get towed to a gas station were I put almost a full quart of motor oil in the tranny (only oil I could get). This time it filled like it always has. Oil only came out of the sight hole once it was full. Turned the motor over slowly with the kickstarter to re-lube the clutch. And started it up. Sounded fine and clutch worked normaly. We headed back to the truck with no further troubles. We get to the truck and find the underside of the fender, rear tire, and rear rotor splatered in oil.

So far I havent pulled the bike out of the trailer to give it a once over and see if the tranny oil has gone down again from my 10 mile ride from the gas station to the truck. When I origionaly ran it dry I checked the motor over really good and there wasn't a drop of oil leaking anywere. After seeing all that oil splattered around when we got back I am thinking that it may have been from possible spilling some when filling it at the gas station with a paper funnel. Wind from dual sporting may have blown it back onto the tire which flinged it everywere.

I am hoping that this was just a fluke occurance. I dont think that I did any major damage to the tranny other than maybe slightly cooking the clutch. I am going to pull the clutch and check it out this week and make sure the gap is still ok. But I am not going to the tranny unless the bike gives me reason to do so.

Some more info. I checked the airbox. Thinking that maybe the oil on the back was from an over oiled airfilter (I just cleaned that also when I changed the oil) but the airbox was dry. I checked the engine oil thinking that the tranny oil may be somehow going in there. But that was right at the proper level.

Anyone have any ideas why this could of happened??

Oh and one more piece of info. I also opened the airbox up and did the pink wire mod last week. But havent rejetted it yet. It was hard starting Sunday when cold. Lean jetting I am sure of it. This I attribute to the stock 40 pilot. I am going to put a 42 pilot in and raise the needle 1 clip. I already have a 150 main in it for my FMF Q silencer. I am pretty sure that the jetting is going to fix the hard starting problem and doubt it has anything to do with the tranny oil troubles but just wanted to throw it out there for what its worth.

Yeah, because an idiot was working on your bike. Tell him to leave it alone.

I'm glad you caught the problem, but when changing the tranny oil does kicking the bike over have any effect on the clutch or transmission oil? Personally, I never kick the bike over when doing engine or tranny oil changes, but I change my oil often so I don't think it matters. Oh yea, I never use the weep hole either, I just measure it out in a bottle. The red honda bottles work great for measuring and they even have a top for pouring.

oh man, that sux... oh well, $hit happens. We all F up occasionally. I hope your tranny is ok.

-Mike

I'm sure the trannys fine it he crank and piston and valves,ETC is going to be the problem :applause:

I'm sure the trannys fine it he crank and piston and valves,ETC is going to be the problem :applause:

Huh? It was the tranny that he ran dry, not the engine. I can't imagine that would lead to crank, piston, or valve problems..

-Mike

Huh? It was the tranny that he ran dry, not the engine. I can't imagine that would lead to crank, piston, or valve problems..

-Mike

read the thread, he drain the crankcase and added oil to the tranny side leaving the eng side dry :applause: