Sign in to follow this  

Need Comfort and Fit in a DRZ

Hi! I'm new here and I really appreciate the forums; it really is a big help for a guy like me looking to get back onto a bike after not having one for a long time. This is a killer website; GOOD JOB

I'm looking for my first dual purpose bike; I've looked at the KLR 650 and 250. Now I'm looking at the DRZ 400. I'm not really interested in hardcore dirt riding; I want to go far into the boonies, not up the tallest hill or past the other guy. I plan to ride 20 miles to work during the week and on the weekends take a day or two trip on the bike ususally to remote places away from civilization to relax and explore and maybe get a little better at the dirt riding. My main concerns so far are comfort and fit; I'm 5'7" tall with about a 32" inseam, I demand that I be able to sit flat footed on my bike, also I demand that my seat be comfortable enough to make me WANT to ride my bike every chance I get. I've read the forums on the DRZ400 and it sounds like a great bike for me; I just need to be able to customize mine (when I get it) to fit me. Any suggestions?

The DRZ400 is a great bike. I ride mine to work every day that I can (about 25 miles). The seat on the DRZ is a little uncomfortable for rides over 1 hour; I got the Corbin seat for any long duration rides.

My friend just bought a 2005 KLR650, and it is a lot more comfortable than the DRZ, but in my opinion it is too wide and awkward for agressive off-roading. The DRZ is much easier to handle off-road.

My inseam length is the same as yours and I ride the DRZ400 with a gel seat option. It makes the bike seat about an inch shorter without affecting the suspension. I could reach the ground with my feet before, but the lower seat makes it more comfortable.

I am 5'10" with a 30 to 32 inseam. I ride over an hour to work on the stock seat and my butt gets a little sore by the time I get home. I don't worry about the seat height since I have been riding offroad most of my life and I am used to the height.

If you want something very comfortable the DRZ may not be for you. Others may have a different opinion.

I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam. I bought the gel seat, and it does help on the height thing. There are koubalinks if you still need to lower. But definitely start with something like the gel seat, I bet you'll find it just perfect. Oh and yea, rides over an hour or so...it starts to suck.

I use the Corbin seat. A couple inches lower than the gel. The Corbin is OK for about an hour, after that, your but starts to get tired if you sit a lot. If you use the Kuba links to lower the rear, you need to also lower the front or you will change the geometry, (make the bike slower in the front end response.) The bike, in my opinion, is heavy, and top heavy for hard core dirt riding unless you are big and strong. On the otherhand it has all the power and torque that you will ever need.... Phil

What is this obcession with flat feet? I have a 32" inseam...but I am 6'2" tall. I can get the balls of my feet down on both sides and that is more then adequate.

I will admit that when I first got the bike I felt it was a little tall and that I might have to lower it. But I quickly got used to it and would not dream of lowering it.

The DRZ is the best of the three by far...especially if you are going offroad at all. The klr250 is too small for a big person to ride far on the highway. I had one when I was 18 and rode it about 30 miles at 65MPH (top cruise speed) and my whole body was vibrating when I got there. At that time I was only about 180 pounds.

The KLR650 is to big to deal with off road for anybody that has limited experience...and is limited in performance to anyone who has the great experience.

Get the DRZ and get used to the height.

Bought my 01 DRZS mainly for forest service roads. I qradually realized that it was more fun on road at the speeds I like to travel than my FZ1 sport bike, so I have been modifying the DRZ to make it a better road bike. Sold the FZ1.

I'm 5'8" and first major mod was Kuboda link...1.5 inch lower. Second major mod was Corbin seat...another 1.5 inch lower and much more tolerable, followed by Cee Baily windscreen. To improve freeway handling a new 18" front wheel w/ street rubber. For a bit more power and better response Burns 3x3 airbox/dynojet mod... made a big difference.

I think I am about done with the mods :applause: . A dual sport bike is about compromise and most mods bias it one way or the other. My mods seem best suited for 1-2 hour road blast across town or into mountains where 60-70 mph is enough. Once in the mountains I can swap for stock 21 inch front wheel and go on dirt roads. For off-road I would need to change gearing and rear rubber which is maybe a mod for the furture.

Overall all it is a good bike if kept as-is or a great bike if modded for your style and type of riding. About the only thing it can't do is deliver all day touring comfort. If I decide to own 2 bikes again I would probably get a FJR1300 or similar which wouldn't compete with the DRZ.

The DRZ is a great all rounder but it does have a bit of an off road focus in my experience. If height and comfort are important maybe a DR650 is worth looking at? They are less cumbersome in the dirt than a KLR but are more comfortable on the road than a DRZ. They are farily low in standard trim and can be lowered even more if you feel the need.

Naturally they won't be as nimble in the bush as a DRZ but with a bit of suspension work it is surprising what they will do.

25958999-M.jpg

1547630-M-1.jpg

The DRZ-2 Kouba Link is under $100 and easy to install and will lower your standover a good amount. I have a 29" inseam and can get my toes down enough to control the bike, flat footed is only a dream. The Kouba Link will work fine for the kind of riding you're describing. The seat comfort is something you can get your butt broken in for, up to a point. If you're going exploring back roads and trails, stop to enjoy the view when you need a break.

Welcome...well, I'm 5'10" and have the same inseam you do...yeah, my knuckles drag on the ground :eek: ...But to think you'll stand flat-footed off a 37" seat height is a bit of a stretch (no pun intended) Kouba links are available for lowering but you'll probably need to sort out the suspension after. I tried a low Suzuki gel seat and hated it. Went back to stock. Today I put 240 miles on the DRZ with over half on a single track road, rough as hell, rocks, mud holes, steep down and steep up and I'm a little sore tonight but not bad. Let the DRZ grow on you a little before you spend a bunch of money trying to change it would be my humble advise. It is one hell of a dual purpose bike...more geared for what I did today. I was at the foot of Kintla Lake in the very NW corner of Glacier National Park. You won't find any more remote country in the lower 48 and my faithful old bike took me there and back without a cough or camplaint. Reliable as hell and I trust it...How many other things in life can you say that about? Good luck :applause: