Sign in to follow this  

97 xr100 tuning trouble

My friend has an 97 XR100 does not want to idle, checked the valves, they were tight, we adjusted them, the bike starts right up with 1 kick, just 1 thing, i tried to set the fuel mixture and idle screw, stays reving up real high, and if i try to adjust the idle screw it shuts down, their is no in between, i even pulled the carb off to clean it, removed the jets and cleaned all around, bike has never been serviced as far as carb is concerned, do you thing their could be some debris stuck some where in the carb, help!

NOTE bone stock

Did the bike just develope this or was some sort of repair done to the bike THEN it stopped idling? Typically a lean mixture will cause it to idle high (i.e. air leak) Is the air filter clean? This is often overlooked and it doesn't take a whole lot of dirt to clog the small filter. This willl cause the bike to run rich.

My friend has an 97 XR100 does not want to idle,(SNIP) i tried to set the fuel mixture and idle screw, stays reving up real high, and if i try to adjust the idle screw it shuts down, their is no in between, (SNIP)

If you rev the engine up and let it come down, do the rpms drop slowly and sometimes unevenly?

If so, it's most likely a vacuum leak. Spray carb cleaner on the area where the carb mounts to the manifold and the manifold mounts to the head to confirm where the problem is.

Otherwise check to see that the slide isn't getting hung-up in the carb, the idle screw is correct, the throttle cable is in good condition, and the jets are clean.

Do everything mentioned above. Also, you said you cleaned around the jets, did you actually clean inside the jets?? If it's not an air leak, more than likely your pilot is clogged. Or water in the gas.