Sign in to follow this  

Time for a new WR pipe...

Okay, I looked for a WR pipe thread, couldn't find one so here we go!

I am looking for a new slip on pipe for my 2002 WR. Weight is an issue but the stocker is heavy anyway, so anything helps. I am thinking the FMF Q2, or perhaps the Dr. D (which is an awesome pipe). Noise is also a factor because it is a trail bike. I would like to keep it under 96db, but it is not 100% required. A spark arrestor is...it can be an optional part though. I would love to hear some real world feedback on this.

Thanks

I have a WR with stock exhaust and I have very similar needs as you. From poking around forums, reading reviews, etc., I have decided on the Dr D stainless full exhaust system.

The exhaust comes in two varieties (racing and spark arrestor)

In addition, you can get a quiet core insert (which also has a permanent spark arrestor screen)

The Dr D Spark Arrestor version comes with a removable screen. I'm guessing you need to remove the screen in order to insert the quiet core? Does anyone know if this is right?

I'm assuming, if you buy the racing version along with the quiet core you have two modes of operation

1) no spark arrestor, no noise reduction (without the core inserted)

2) spark arrestor and noise reduction (with the core inserted)

If you buy the SA version along with the quiet core, there are three modes

1) no spark arrestor, no noise reduction (screen removed and no quiet core)

2) spark arrestor, no noise reduction (screen inserted, but no quiet core)

3) spark arrestor and noise reduction (quiet core inserted)

In any case, you need to get the WR mounting kit (~$10-15) to mount it like a YZ system

The Dr D Spark Arrestor version comes with a removable screen. I'm guessing you need to remove the screen in order to insert the quiet core? Does anyone know if this is right?

Correct...

I'm assuming, if you buy the racing version along with the quiet core you have two modes of operation

1) no spark arrestor, no noise reduction (without the core inserted)

2) spark arrestor and noise reduction (with the core inserted)

I don't know if the racing version will accept the quiet core insert. The last time I was on the dubachracing.com website I think the literature said that the racing version was for closed course only?

If you buy the SA version along with the quiet core, there are three modes

1) no spark arrestor, no noise reduction (screen removed and no quiet core)

2) spark arrestor, no noise reduction (screen inserted, but no quiet core)

3) spark arrestor and noise reduction (quiet core inserted)

Correct.

I personally just don't see buying a good open performance pipe and then putting a cork or restrictor and sparky in it. This just causes frustration for jetting, etc. If you want quiet (*you should*) go for a pipe that is designed to be quiet. Go Q2!!! add a SS Power Bomb if the mood strikes you right.

Does anyone actually have a Q2?

Dirt Bike mag IIRC had a little blurb on it saying that it performs down low better than modified CRF250x's...

Well I have also read around the forums that people that use the Dr.d, with the quiet cap end, and found no jetting changes needed, nor did it affect power.

A couple of ways to go. Mich."s db levels are set at 94 to be" legal". The only time I have ever been checked for sound are at state riding area. Sand dunes, Mounds , places like that. They will test you at CCC events if your planning on riding any of these.I have the "q" on my wr and have always passed tests. My son has the Yosh SS Off-road slip on with the Tech insert kit. I think the Yosh is a better bet if your planning on riding both track and trail. The tech kit allows you to open or close up the exhaust.

sndmn2, how do you like the Q? Noticeable power increase over stock?

I'd like to get some more power, but want as quite as possible. Something that meets 94dB rather than targeted at 96 is appealing to me. I don't want to be obnoxious, and I don't want to contribute to closure of riding areas... :applause:

Anyone using the "Power Bomb"? Sounds like it increases flow and deadens sound. If I went with a whole header system (rather than just a muffler) would this be a good way to go?

What's the website for FMF?

Thanks, I was just getting on to post that :applause: . Google gave me tons of dealers, but not the direct link. Got that from one of the dealer links....

Also, found some more posts on the Power Bomb, and it sounds good.

Anyone know the weights compared to stock?

FMF Q with powerbomb header will give you a bit more bottom and midrange, and will test between 95-97db.

It would be nice to have that extra 1 or 2 hp that a race pipe will give you but not if it makes it 99db or more. all you really get is a lot more sound and a tiny bit more power. If you really want a bunch more power get a 250 two stroke.

Face it people, with 250 four strokes, and like a 125 two stroke their advantage lies in their light weight not their power output.

04WR250F, all the free mods, fuel screw and no money left.....

Ebay is a good resource for pipes, there is a consant auction for the FMF E-series from a dealer in Ca. typically sells for between 90 and 140$. Still to much for me, sad ain't it. Any way I got a complete 04YZ250F exhaust system for 40$ and a Titanium Power Bomb header (with a slight dent) for 47$ (saw a perfect condition go for 88$). Would of wether had the Dr. D for $100 mentioned above but no luck like that. Great improvement and lost 3-4lbs off the bike too.