Sign in to follow this  

X-ring chain?

What is the best way to maintain this chain? I have read somewhere that says to use lots of water to clean the chain. How about dropping it in a bucket of diesel overnight. Any suggestions?

Jax.

After washing my bike (including the chain) with soap and water, I spray WD-40 on my chain. I then take a medium bristle brush and run it over the top, bottom and sides of the chain. I then take a rag and wipe off the excess WD-40 from the top, bottom and sides of the chain. I take the bike for a quick spin around the block to fling any remaining dirt and WD-40 off the chain. Lastly, I spray a good quality chain lube (I prefer Bel Ray Super Clean) on the top, bottom and sides of the chain. I've been running D.I.D X-Ring chains for 4 years using this process and my sprockets tend to wear out before my chains :applause:

Wash then wd 40, no maxes or other lubes. They tend to attract dirt which can be abrasive. In a wet climate a chain lube or wax may be ok.

Everybody has their own way, none of them wrong.

I tend to stay away from wd40 as it tends to like to eat the o rings (so Ive heard) but I do use the hard brush after a good wash take it for a burn and then us a good chain lube, if hes been running his chain longer a couple set of sprockets I dont see any reason not to use the wd40 then.

WD-40 does not eat O-rings. Some chain manufactures recommend cleaning their O-ring chains in kerosene. Think of WD-40 as kerosene & wax & you wont be far off.

:applause:

XRMac over at KTMtalk.com soaked an oring from a chain in WD40 for weeks with no signs of breaking down. And lots of folks use it regularly on their chains. If it broke down the orings, you'd hear lots of folks complaining about it, IMO.

Well I guess I've heard wrong, thanks for the corrections guys, as I said before its what I was told, I trust your knowledge more than hear say, I do use kerosene on mucked up chains so I guess your right wd40 wouldnt be to different. Mental note made.