Sign in to follow this  

1984 xr 250r rfvc experts

I was removing the clutch cover on the bike to replace the gasket and during re installation I broke the bolt where the decomp cable bracket is held in place if I cant get the bolt out with a easy out is there enough meat to install a helicoil

if you can get the screw out with an extractor then the threads will probably be okay and there will be no need for a helicoil.

you will have to at the very least drill out the broken screw. i can't be sure but i would imagine there is enough meat for a helicoil. this is not a high stress application even though you have the resultant force of the valve spring. i think thre is a boss on the valve cover that actually counter acts this force and not the screw. you will probably be okay. if it were me, i would do it.

Yes, you can helicoil. Those bolts are 6mm and it takes a 1/4 inch drill bit for those helicoils. Go to toolman at ebay, type in thread repair. He can hook you up, I think I paid about 10 bucks for a kit with 12 helicoils. I had a lot of trouble with my case, threading into aluminum is crap. The helicoil is many times stronger than original threads.