Sign in to follow this  

Why is one footpeg bolted & one welded...

... on the XR400? Why not both welded or both bolted? Just curious, I keep thinking it must be something real obvious, just can't figure it out.

the peg mount that is screwed to the frame is done so because it must be removed to take the engine out of the frame.

the welded peg mount could be done so to reduce the total number of parts and weight. i doubt the frames are hand welded, the welding is probably automated. this being the case, it is less expensive to have a machine weld the peg mount as opposed to a human secured it with cap screws.

> i doubt the frames are hand welded, the welding is probably

> automated.

>

Although I can't say it with complete confidence, I would tend to think most of the frame is welded by hand. There just aren't enough bikes of a particular model sold in a year to justify the time and expense for developing, programming, and maintaining an automated welding process.

What humans give away to machines in terms of specific task efficiency is more than offset by their incredible adaptability.

How come nobody ever seems to bend the left peg (the welded one) but people always bend that arm that bolts to the frame on the right side?

"Although I can't say it with complete confidence, I would tend to think most of the frame is welded by hand. There just aren't enough bikes of a particular model sold in a year to justify the time and expense for developing, programming, and maintaining an automated welding process."

if it were just the bike coming to the u.s. i could see volume might not be high enough. is it possible that frame is used across a wide variety of xr400 units be shipped all over the world? do you think the volume is still relatively small and does not justify automated welding? i don't know, just a thought.

How come nobody ever seems to bend the left peg (the welded one) but people always bend that arm that bolts to the frame on the right side?

I smashed the left peg flat, but the mount was fine. I bent the right peg bracket back about 45 degrees, but the peg survived.

"Although I can't say it with complete confidence, I would tend to think most of the frame is welded by hand. There just aren't enough bikes of a particular model sold in a year to justify the time and expense for developing, programming, and maintaining an automated welding process."

if it were just the bike coming to the u.s. i could see volume might not be high enough. is it possible that frame is used across a wide variety of xr400 units be shipped all over the world? do you think the volume is still relatively small and does not justify automated welding? i don't know, just a thought.

Even all over the world the number of XR400's produced is relatively low. Combine that with the complicated (relatively) welding required for a motorcycle frame and there is no way it would be cost beneficial to design and set up an automated assembly line.

"Even all over the world the number of XR400's produced is relatively low. Combine that with the complicated (relatively) welding required for a motorcycle frame and there is no way it would be cost beneficial to design and set up an automated assembly line."

i stand corrected. i don't know why it is welded.

To facilitate engine removal makes as good a sense as any. Tho my engine came out ok without needing to remove the peg mount.

And I agree the frame is most likely welded by hand in an assembly line. Several different stations with jigs to mount the pieces to. So the frame pieces are located properly on every frame. They get welded in place and it's sent to the next station and a different jig for another piece/section to be added. And so on til it's finished. You have welders responsible for possibly only a few pieces/welds and they become very good at them.

You have welders responsible for possibly only a few pieces/welds and they become very good at them.

Yeah, like those little f#@!&%* that pile all that bead in the headers.

:applause:

Once upon a time neither peg mount was welded. They started doing that in 86.