Sign in to follow this  

Tappet shims

Im reshiming m valves. now ,on the tappets, the 2 intakes and one exhuast were all said 03 and one exhuast said 05. im not surew hat exact size they really r.

do a search on this forum for the service manual... download it, and it has the sizes in thousandths and the metric equivalent that correspond to the markings on the shims

just looked on the part that clamps the camshaft to the head and, written on both, it said 345. I don't know if it ment .345 or what. But if it is, i still need to figure out what the .5 is?

Get the micrometer out and measure them, easiest way in my book.

The 03 will be a 3.025mm and the 05 will be 3.050mm.

The numbers correspond with the size.

50 = 2.50 53 = 2.525 55 = 2.550 58 = 2.575

60 = 2.60 63 = 2.625 65 = 2.650 68 = 2.675 etc etc

00 = 3.00 03 = 3.025 05 = 3.050

The change in 0.025mm increments (1thou).

When you reshim you are going to a smaller shim to increase the gap between the valve bucket and cam lobe.

If you measure your gap at 3 thou inlet and want to go to 5 thou you need to go down 2 shim sizes. eg. go form a 58 to a 53.

Go to page 36 of the manual for the charts.

http://www.nbsupercycle.com/servicemanuals/04servicemanuals.htm

The number written on the the head (texta) is just the number to make sure the cam caps stay with the right head when they are machined

Buy yourself a micrometer or good verniers to measure them because the little numbers will wear off.

i need ur opinions on wh shims to go with. My intake valves were at 0.10 and they both had the 03 sims. Then my left exhuast had an 05 shim in it and then the right hand an 03. Bolth those valves were tight. I know they r expensive, but should i just buy a re-shiming kit? I don't wanna have to keep buying different shims till i get to a good measurment. With my luck im gonna have to order them cuz none of the dealers won't have any shims.

The service manual tells you the procedure for figuring out the shim sizes you need so you only have to make one trip (nice of them wasn't it?) Honestly, i shim so frequently that I would need years before i made up the price of the shim kit (around 80 bucks)

See, my problem is i have that stupid little book they give u with the bike. I need to buy a service manual. I didn't really want to cuz im gonna just re-shim it and sell the bike.

Yea, but my pease of crap computer won't let me see them for some stupid reason. I HATE THIS COMPUTER!!!!!!! :applause:

Do you 'Adobe Acrobat reader' installed. Its' free and you should be able to read it. If not go to the adobe website and download a later version.