Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400SM Slip-on or full system.

Has anyone installed a Slip-on or full exhaust system on their SM yet? I want one but I will be riding it in well populated areas so I dont want it to be to to loud. Any suggestions? Yosh? White Brothers?

Not on an SM, but the S has the same motor, and I installed the Yoshimura full system, RS-3. The RS-3 comes with a spark arrestor installed and it isn't too load if you're easy on the throttle. Definitely go with the full.

I just got an sm and called yosh. No pipe made for the sm yet, but said they are about a month out. I also confirmed this with jesse at keintech and he also called yosh. I am just drilling my endcap for now and waiting the month. If you find anything let me know.

Anthony.

I just got an sm and called yosh. No pipe made for the sm yet, but said they are about a month out. I also confirmed this with jesse at keintech and he also called yosh. I am just drilling my endcap for now and waiting the month. If you find anything let me know.

Anthony.

The new "SM" Yosh street pipe is going to be some serious money (I'm guessing close to $1000). The Yosh pipes that work with the "S" are a perfect fit on the SM and is under $400 for SS.

If your getting exhaust go with the full system. Because the biggest gain is in the head pipe... its diameter is a lot smaller.

So I have been told, read, meditated, absorbed... from TT forum :applause:

I just put the full Yosh Ti TRS system on my SM. I only had to drill out the front hole for the passenger peg on the right side. I also did the 3x3, K&N and DJ needle. The difference is dramatic.

I just put the full Yosh Ti TRS system on my SM. I only had to drill out the front hole for the passenger peg on the right side. I also did the 3x3, K&N and DJ needle. The difference is dramatic.

I have the same set up coming. Parts should be in by the end of the week. :applause: Got any pics?

It would only take 30 seconds to take the pics, but I dont have anywhere to host them. It will look good, sound good and run good. Now if i can only go without getting any tickets.

I wonder why the Yosh SM pipe is going to be so much money?

Honestly, no good reason aside from the fact people will pay.

If you honestly have the skills to hone out that pea size hole the S has for a exhaust header fine. If not buy the Yosh Ti and congratulate yourself on getting the best breathing header setup made for a Suzuki. Pops Yoshurmira has been working almost exclusively with Suzuki since they started to race bikes. He's probably the best motor builder on the planet earth. I think it's a good reason to buy his pipe. pdawg :eek::applause:

In the intrest of saving money, I went with a Billet end cap that I found on ebay. It flows alot better than stock, looks awesome and sounds just right. Besides my original end cap is still stock In case I ever have to put it back on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=35596&item=4560618944&sspagename=WDVW

I have been looking at these and considering it. Did you notice a performance difference, and do you have your bike jetted? I dont want to do it if the only major difference is sound level.

Thx in advance.

they told m,e i would have clearance issues with the waterpump if i used the s system on a sm

Honestly, no good reason aside from the fact people will pay.

R&D, testing, etc. They will no doubt deliver stellar quality, but street components always seem to cost more. Dirt people are thriftier... :applause:

they told m,e i would have clearance issues with the waterpump if i used the s system on a sm

:applause::eek:🙂

those guys that answer phones kill me.

the S model systems fit just fine.its the same bike!

I have been running the Akra full Ti system for about 2 months now and love it. I was debating between the Yoshi full Ti system and the Akra with the latter being hundreds less. I have always good luck with Akra full systems on my rockets so the choice was easy. The stock header imop is heavier and restrictive and the gains with a slip-on are marginal at best.

I ordered the full Yoshi system for an "E" and it fits perfectly on my SM... :applause:

If you honestly have the skills to hone out that pea size hole the S has for a exhaust header fine. If not buy the Yosh Ti and congratulate yourself on getting the best breathing header setup made for a Suzuki. Pops Yoshurmira has been working almost exclusively with Suzuki since they started to race bikes. He's probably the best motor builder on the planet earth. I think it's a good reason to buy his pipe. pdawg 🙂:eek:

That would all be sound reasoning if "Pops" Yoshimura hadn't been dead for ten years. :applause:

I'll be going with the Akro full system. Yosh makes GREAT stuff no doubt and they do have the most Suzuki experience but I've sampled lots of both Yosh and Akro systems and the Akro stuff has always been of superior build quality and finish. Usually you pay through the nose for Akro stuff but it's actually cheaper for the DR-Z

If you honestly have the skills to hone out that pea size hole the S has for a exhaust header fine. pdawg 😛:eek:

Hey Pdawg - are you saying there is a way to modify the HEADER to make it flow better? Is there a restrictor in it also? :applause:

(Hope So!) 🙂

Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but if so - I want to know how to do it!!!!! I cant afford a header, and I already removed the endcap from the muffler.