Sign in to follow this  

Riding versus Racing???

I was wondering - Who's no longer racing when they used to be a die-hard every weekend run against the world racer?

I've noticed that in the past two years that I've slowly developed no desire to race on the MX bike anymore.

It's weird... I'm faster now that I ever was (I blame CRF50s - they've taught me how to rail corners, slide both ends, drift, bike control, yada, yada).

I also have way more confidence than I ever did (due to my CRF450 - the most amazing MX bike I've ever had the pleasure of going over the bars of).

And in general, I'm a much better rider now than when I was racing, but the desire to go out and bang bars with a bunch of other guys has lost it's grip on me.

I was even looking forward to racing 40+ this year, since I now qualify, but so far, the desire hasn't been there to go out and play with them.

I've not lost the desire to ride, though. I ride the big bike every weekend, we terrorize the back yard 50 track here at my house every Wednesday night and I still travel from Ohio to Arizona five times a year to Desert race a car, so I still have the racer in me, but anymore on a bike, it's just more fun to pay 10 bucks and play all day at my leisure and pace instead of forking out 40 bucks to get 20 laps of competition in.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Man, is this a sign that am I getting old(er)??? :applause:

Nah. I used to race hare scrambles every weekend. I was working on my A class when I blew my 520 up twice.

Since then, I have only done mabey 4 MX Races in 4 years.

Why spend 40+ dollars to do 8 laps and sit around all day, when you can ride all day, sit never, and spend 20 or so? (Or less if you join a track membership.)

I raced w/ Vet X last weekend! Practice + 2-15 minute moto's :applause:

Basically sit and watch the other races all day for about 40 minutes of ride time! I enjoy it better just heading to the tracks w/ my friends! Get there about 9-10 ride as much as i want for $20, compared to $35 to race, $10 to get in, $5 if non-member and $3 for transponder(keeps track of position and times :eek:)

Sometimes we chase things we think will make us happy but...

When we get there. It's not what we thought it would be like...

We were all created to worship God but most worship hobbies, sports, jobs and sex. I use to do it and sometimes find myself worshipping my bike as well. We just have to refocus and get things in order so we don't feel out of balance.

All those voids can only be filled by a relationship with Jesus Christ himself. Sometimes we try to fill those voids with the things of this world.

Keep it Down

Sometimes we chase things we think will make us happy but...

When we get there. It's not what we thought it would be like...

We were all created to worship God but most worship hobbies, sports, jobs and sex. I use to do it and sometimes find myself worshipping my bike as well. We just have to refocus and get things in order so we don't feel out of balance.

All those voids can only be filled by a relationship with Jesus Christ himself. Sometimes we try to fill those voids with the things of this world.

Keep it Down

&%$#@!??? Racing vs riding is what this post is about!!

Used to race the pro class MANY years ago. Spent lots of money and time to get to that level. Back then it seemed like a waist of time to go out and play ride. All I did was train, practice, work on the bike (CR500) and race. Injuries finally caught up with me and as I got older, I seemed to heal slower and I didn't bounce as well when I fell as I did when I was younger. The tracks changed and lots of big air became the norm, and that's when I decided that I was too old for it. Now it's bran flkes in the morning, and a nice easy ride with the kids. :applause: Still have fun, even if it's not competing.

I'm sorry, but you have struck a major nerve with this line...

It pains me to see these words, as I have to put up with my born again step-brother and his relentless persecution of the non-believing, non saved (of which I AM! - damn you).

After he told my mother, ON HER DEATH BED that she was bound for Hell and eternal damnation because she wouldn't agree to HIS belief of a MAN MADE concept, I have no room for this sort of talk.

I live a good life, I treat others with respect and strive to be a good person, but playing the JC card here...

I asked about racing and riding. Not the fullfilment of some concept. What does your post have to do with my riding/racing question/comment anyhow???

I am happy for you that it gives you fullfillment, that it gives you joy, that it keeps you happy, but it's NOT FOR ME.

It pains me to see these words, as I have to put up with my born again step-brother and his relentless persecution of the non-believing, non saved (of which I AM! - damn you).

After he told my mother, ON HER DEATH BED that she was bound for Hell and eternal damnation because she wouldn't agree to HIS belief of a MAN MADE concept, I have no room for this sort of talk.

I live a good life, I treat others with respect and strive to be a good person, but playing the JC card here...

I asked about racing and riding. Not the fullfilment of some concept. What does your post have to do with my riding/racing question/comment anyhow???

I am happy for you that it gives you fullfillment, that it gives you joy, that it keeps you happy, but it's NOT FOR ME.

chill man. He was just saying that sometimes we long for things that turn out to be something their not. And I would have beat ur brother badly if he actually said that. I have no problem with BT's but as long as they dont say things like ur going to hell

Sorry brother.

I didn't mean to offend you.

I was just giving me viewpoint and not trying to push anything on you. :applause:

Chill out. We are on the same team. I ride bikes too. :eek:

Keep it Down

Nope, I don't race anymore. I always had too much fear to be anything more than a mid-pack finisher. I biffed it pretty hard a few times because of that fear driven hesitation. I would get so nervous on the starting line that I would almost barf. It was fun, but not for me. Playriding, trailriding, farting around on an MX track, that's where it's at for me. No pressure, just fun. If I want to go 80 mph or 2 mph, no problem. But that's just me.. :eek:

Oh, and Keep it Down, I hear ya, brother. :applause:

:applause:

Keep It Down- Its cool that JC helps you out...but I dont want to here about it on a dirt bike forum about RACING VS RIDING. No disrespect intended but I don't want to have to read about how JC gives you ultilmate fullfillment when I am trying to read about Racing vs Riding.

With that said I did a little racing and found that is extremely expensive and I get to ride about 1 hours total and sit in the sun for about 7 hours. I will probably still do a couple of races here and there, the play riding is the way to go. And hell, just because you arent at an 'official' race doesnt mean you cant go bar to bar with some of the other guys at the track.

it goes in phases...ride for a few years....then race for a few years....then get burned out or move or your buddies stop or your place in life is different...but then a few years later someone calls ya on the phone and says 'wanna race with us' and then its back on!

i've never met anyone who could sustain hard core racing all the way thru their lives...not to say it doesnt happen...but its rare.

Sorry brother.

I didn't mean to offend you.

I was just giving me viewpoint and not trying to push anything on you. :applause:

Chill out. We are on the same team. I ride bikes too. :eek:

Keep it Down

No problem. As I said, you struck a major nerve. I've not been able to get past what my Step-idiot did and it really is hard for me at times. Telling someone that gave unconditionally that they are bound for what ever as they are dying and then walking out of the room was just too damn much for me. He is fanatical and it's sad.

I appologize for lashing back in such a manner and I truly am happy for you that you get pleasure from your devotion. It's just not for me.

SO, on that note, Racing or riding?? 🙂

I think if you raced like you practiced or rode every day, it would be fun. I believe that's why pros ride so much, so that it's just riding when they are racing.

I used to get nervous also on the starting line that I would shake. Then I started to just bounce on the bike up and down, this helped. I also paced myself and I just told myself where I finish is where I finish, I don't have to win.

Ofcourse when I was younger, it was all the way or no way, but bit the dirt lots. Oh, I don't race any more but I ride track practice days, much more fun and no expectations.

It just gives me an appreciation of what the pros have to endure, even when they are having an "off day", they still have to produce(kind of like adult movies actors) 🙂

Sorry I had to. :applause:

LATER :eek:

dude just keep on going and you'll end up having more fun than u had before

I know what you mean. I get into it, obsess, reach a pinnacle, get burned out and have to step away for a little, maybe get on the mountain bike for awhile. Moderation, I think, is key. I get all wound up in the series and what I need to do and it becomes like work instead of having fun, which is why I started doing it in the first place. The sandbaggers are really getting to me this year. :applause: If you are tired of the MX, try something else, like hare scrambles.

about 1X year I enter a race.

about 51 times a year I'm at the track with a whole bunch of bud's and we go out and bang bars like it's a race. We pair up or we invert the finish order with slowest guy leading making the faster guys work to get around. We never take each other out and we have a great time. We go back to the pits and BS about the race and laugh at how close one of us came to crashing and making a great save, rest up and do it agin until we have about 1.5 hrs of seat time. then we drink a few "barley pops" and go home.

After doing this for 51 times we say "you know we've trained for a year now, maybe we ought to get serious and race". We do, it was ho-hum, we paid too much for what we got out of it, and go back into retirement for another 12 months!!

ive raced a few times, didnt really do to well but it was alot of fun

if racing were as cheap as riding, id do it every weekend

i wait all week sometimes just to ride, if i raced it'd be for like 40 mins at top and id have to pay 3 times as much as a practice..

i like play racing with my friends..ya know..go to the track and do a few laps and "race" ..its cheaper and more fun

I raced from '76 ('74 cr250 Elsinore, yea I know) till '98 ('93 yz250, still got it). Not hard core. Usually only about 6-7 times a year to see what level I was at. Even won a few. I enjoyed racing the B senior class as those guys will give you a battle but not take you out for a plastic trophey so that it can gather dust in your garage. Was thinking about doing a super senior race (over 40) on the '04 crf450 (I'm 46). I ride once a week at the local club (Eagle Bridge, NY). Same story as most here, over the years I got tired of the traveling and cost to mostly sit around. I would double class to get in more laps but even then at the AM level you get three practice laps and do two three lap motos. The experts go for a lot longer which would be an incentive, but I can go to my local track and ride all day. Last week I was racing against some experts who did beat me but I kept with them for 8 laps or so. I don't have any regular riding buddies right now so that could be part of not racing.