Sign in to follow this  

Krylon Fusion on gas tanks??

Hi,

I have an old yz80 gas tank that I want to paint due to it being EXTREMELY discolored. I was wondering if Krylon Fusion would work on a gas tank, or would the gas fumes deteriorate the paint? :applause: Also, are there any other types of paint that work on gas tanks?

Thanks

I don't know of a paint that will stick to plastic well enough to hold up...

Can't you track down another tank? It doesn't seem like it would be that expensive... :applause:

It is a discontiued Clark gastank meant to replace the metal YZ80 tanks, I have seen painted (or died) gas tanks before. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket tank for the 1982 YZ80s? Also, Krylon fusion is a Plastics paint.

If it is a white or natural tank, you should be able to dye it the same way you can dye wheels for RC cars... you'll just need a BIG kettle.

Standard RIT clothing dye will work. Bring the water to a boil, drop in the dye, then put the tank in.

Remove the petcock and slowly lower the tank in to allow the water to fill the inside as well.

The longer you leave it in, the darker the color will be.

Thanks for the info, do they make a white dye? I am doubting it, but If they do that would be ideal, otherwise I will dye the tank most likely black.

They make white dye. I have used it before. Not sure what brand it was, but I got it at the local craft store. Try Joanne Fabrics. I know, I know, it was for a school project though!

the only thing i will ever use to paint plastic--well to prime then paint plastic as the paint can pretty much be anything once you use the primer, is made by XIM and it is their plastic primer. Most sherwin-williams carry it... no I don't work for them, but my company makes plastic building products and this is the only stuff to use in order for paint to stick...

though I have never used it on a bike part, only interior parts for cars and building products, kids toys, etc. I would think the dye would be the way to go if you can swing it.

The fusion stuff is a joke, at least the times i've tried it. I tried to paint the ol kdx 200 tank and side panels with it...looked like crap and peeled right off. I did sand and primer them. Plastic is just not paint friendly, yet.

The fusion stuff is a joke, at least the times i've tried it. I tried to paint the ol kdx 200 tank and side panels with it...looked like crap and peeled right off. I did sand and primer them. Plastic is just not paint friendly, yet.

Well the major prob with bike plastics is the wear and tear we put our bikes through. Thats why I would just dye the plastics, it will just save you a big headace in the long run.

Thanks average joe..i will try, IF I ever decide to paint again!

I would only paint items that are in low wear areas--on a mc that doesn't leave much, but if a part was already messed up it is worth a try... as I said dyeing would be the way to go if you could work it out. Maybe you could use the bedliner stuff like the jeep guys do... would be a little rough on you if you slid accross it though...

No paint will work on a gas tank!!!!!!! It Breaths vapors through the plastic, that is why the paint will not stick or bubbles and comes off! :applause:

It says right on the can, no sand and no primer.

I have used Krylon Fussion and it worked great.

Just follow the instructions exactly.

I agree that it should not be used in an area that will see abrasions or rubbing.

I really doubt that it would hold up on a gas tank though.

If you spray it on clean plastic it is supposed to make a molecular bond with the plastic.