Sign in to follow this  

My first Desert (Hare?) Scramble

I rode the Cherry Creek Desert Scramble in Young, AZ this past weekend. It was a singletrack type race on a ranch. A ranch with cows. In the riders meeting they told us that the cows should get out of our way but the bull wasn't affraid of motorcycles....

Well this was my first race and boy was I nervous Sat morning. I think I had a small box of OJ and a handfull of Life cereal (Got Life?) because I was sure anything else was going to come back up.

Had a decent first lap with several misdirections and an injured Number 6 rider (sprained ankle?) along the way. The second lap I just crashed, and I mean literally, repeatedly, it was just one reeeally long crash. I couldn't even count. The best three were :

• Going down in to a gully and not braking hard enough to stop to wait in line. I just rode up the other side, the bike stopped, I tumbled off and a friend of my boyfriend ran up and said "You must be Tim's girlfriend" while helping me right the bike.
  • Riding down into another gully somehow crashed and was sliding down when the bike turned upside down (I wasn't on it) and was still running for a solid 2 or 3 seconds. I didn't know they could do that!
  • Crashing right at the gate for the grass track on my last lap (very end of the course) and unable to start my bike for what felt like 15 mins but I'm sure was only 2

Guess this means I have to get in shape next time... It wasn't difficult, I just got stupid tired... and then were are my bars. My boyfriend got on my bike and told me that they were tweaked in every direction possible... I thought that it was pulling right, but who's ever heard of a motorcycle pulling right!?!

All in all I had a great time! Also brought another girl with me and she had a blast too! I have gone riding with her 4 times (her only dirt bike riding) and asked her on Wed (as in the 6th) "Wanna race on Sat (as in the 9th)?" and she said yes! She's a Pro Woman downhill mountain bike rider (they all think dirt bikers are crazy!) so she's had a bit of a step up off the average beginner. Just watch out when she gets her KX100 up and running!

I ended up with 2nd in a Women's class of 6 and the boyfriend was 1st in 4Stk A and 3rd overall (I just love to brag on him.) And now he's got the racing bug again (Hadn't been racing since he moved back to AZ from CO) and we're going to the Calamity Pass Enduro this weekend. Any other girls from here going? There's about 6 "Ladies" (They call us ladies, Ha!) preregistered and I figure that one of them might be on here.

That's the end of my story, hopefully all will go well this weekend and I'll have more stories from Rand, CO. The boyfriend claims that CO will be much smoother (tons of rocks on the course this past weekend) and I shouldn't be scared of the 60 miles of singletrack and I say... "You told me it was 40 miles of singletrack for C riders...."

Congratulations gtssnowcrack! Sounds like a great time and 2nd place to boot!!!! :applause:

So are you addicted to racing? After my first harescramble in February, I've been totally obsessed!! :applause:

(BTW, who was the pro downhiller that you took with you? The only reason why I ask is because I used to race pro downhill and maybe I know her.)

It's killing me that I have to wait till Sept for the next one around here. Who knows, maybe Enduro's will be as addicting... but there's all that thinking and strategy: Go fast. Go slow. Should I worry about a check? Am I on my minute? What is my minute? RESET WHAT!?! I don't know, we'll see!

PS: PMed you her name, got to protect the not so innocent

Great job gtsnowcrack!!! :applause::eek:

That was not an easy first race course. Rand will be much easier.

I think I have a picture of you racing in my camera (XR200??), I have a few more pics to take before I get it developed(which may take a while). If the pic looks cool, I will post it. If not, I will PM it to you. 😛

Your SO is lightning fast. 🙂

Excellent GT :applause:. You have been taught well by the master. I was talking to "Hillsanes" (check the last cat results :eek: ) hes so modest about his finish. Just one of those guys who excels in everything but always wants to do better.

Sorry I won't see ya guys this weekend, but have fun in CO.

Geoff

Congrats GT.....I wish I could have gone, but I had to work on Sat. After hearing everyone's racing stories I'm actually getting the itch to race again. Depending on what day the next race falls on I just may be there.

Good luck in Rand and have fun. CO is a great place to ride/race. I'm going to Crested Butte and Ouray the first week in August and can't wait!

When it cools off some here we'll have to get together and go riding again.

I can't wait to try my first race....Sounds like a blast!! Need a little more time on the bike so maybe next year!! :-)

Thanks for sharing!!!

Jack - Did I meet you at the race? There were so many people and names that I got completely confused! Awesome about the picture! Thanks!

TrialsRider - We really were planning on being at Jones Crossing this weekend and then Buck says "Wanna ride Rand" and I swear Tim started drooling! You need to get a big bike and try riding the next race in Sept. Mucho fun! And yes Tim's frustratingly cordinated... (Don't know why he get's insulted when I say that)

BD - I keep getting questions from people (Like Bill at MAS) "Have you seen Brenda" And then I say something about you working alot and not liking the heat. So you are missed by people! You'll have to at least show up to the race in Sept (And of course if you're there how could you not race?)

Buck invited Tim and I to the ride in Ouray and CB (Buck's such a tease) and hopefully work/money will work out and we'll see you there!

It's killing me that I have to wait till Sept for the next one around here. Who knows, maybe Enduro's will be as addicting... but there's all that thinking and strategy: Go fast. Go slow. Should I worry about a check? Am I on my minute? What is my minute? RESET WHAT!?! I don't know, we'll see!

PS: PMed you her name, got to protect the not so innocent

I actually like enduros better because it's not about the fastest rider, it's about the smartest!! Anybody can ride fast, but can you ride fast and think? That is the best part! Good luck at the enduro! I'm riding in a night enduro this Saturday. It should be interesting!

BD - I keep getting questions from people (Like Bill at MAS) "Have you seen Brenda" And then I say something about you working alot and not liking the heat. So you are missed by people! You'll have to at least show up to the race in Sept (And of course if you're there how could you not race?)

Buck invited Tim and I to the ride in Ouray and CB (Buck's such a tease) and hopefully work/money will work out and we'll see you there!

Well I'm looking at my schedule to see if I can swing the Sept race. I have to say that I do miss the racing scene. I miss all my friends old and new.

I sure hope you and Tim can make the CO trip.....I had so much fun last year and I'm counting down the days as we speak. I'm taking off July 30 in the a.m. with some friends of mine that I haven't seen all summer....I can't wait!