Sign in to follow this  

SuperMoto for commuting??

Hi all. I am considering trading my 02 Triumph Sprint ST for a Suzuki DRZ 400 SM. I am very interested in the fuel mileage that any one with the DRZ is getting. How practical do you feel this bike is for commuting? Thanks for any information.

I was getting about 80 miles with the stock tank on mine, I get a little more with the IMS tank I have on now. If your commute is under 30 miles each way the drz is alot of fun. I take back roads to work on mine and its a blast. :applause:

I get about 50MPG going just about the speed limit +5 maybe mostly freeway. I have an FCR carb which sucks it down faster. The stock carb can do a little better.

Lincos assesment is about right on target. I go about 32 miles each way. Its not too bad, the DRZ is my daily driver..... A really long commute would kick your ass on it though. Vibration and wind are gonna be a factor.

Its a lot of fun. Turns lots of heads when you go around corners totally sideways. :applause:

Any motard or even mid sized dual sport is great fun at city speeds but if there's much highway distance I'd suggest you keep the Sprint.

My basic dual sport DR350 with more street oriented tires puts a big grin on my face and I've even caught myself dropping low enough in a right hand turn to brush my boot toe now and then if it's not tucked in. It's just down and up again and surprises the heck out of me when it happens but that's the sort of things these bikes make you feel like doing.

As for mileage I imagine it's more about the range off a tank than the actual mileage. If mileage is truly the concern then may I suggest a Vespa? :applause:

I commute on my XR650R about 16 miles each way, maybe half highway, and half non-highway. I run 17" tires and a 15/46 gear combo which I think is perfect for the street. Tons of fun and about 55MPG unless I get really stupid with the throttle. Going to the 46 rear sprocket compensated for the shorter tires. The 15 front sprocket then made in comfortable on the highway at 70 mph or so. Going to the front 15 did make it so I have to give the bars a little yank to wheelie in 2nd gear, but I'm kinda a big guy (215).

Try the best of both worlds, KTM 950SM. Mine arrives next week. While I love my YZ426 around London its a nightmare on the open road, fuel, butt, noise........

DRZ400SM

$4K used.

I ride like I stole it and get 56mpg (15/41) and 53mpg (14/41).

I ride mine to work at the data center everyday and park it next to the Mercedes AMG's and Fatass SUV's....and I get to wheelie and jump.

Therapeutic.

Thanks for the input fellas. My current commute is about 15 miles right now (non-highway), so it seems it wouldn't be a big deal from that perspective. I do think the range could be an issue. I am accustomed to the "idiot light" coming on around 175 miles and I have .8 gallons left. I do like not having to stop to gas up every few days. I do manage a weekend/overnight trip once or twice a year also. I just got back from a 750 mile overnight trip. I am not sure that I would like the minimal range of the drz. Supermoto bikes seem way cool though.

Sounds like a good choice for you if you don't need to put on a ton of freeway miles.

Great in crosstown traffic and the twisties. With the Clarke 3.9 tank I hit reserve

around 170 miles on average. Very reliable motors, recently turned 29000 miles on my 03.

kawidual, is there a good internet source to pick up the Clarke tank? Thanks.

http://www.clarkemfg.com/

ordered one for my xr250 had it in 7 days. i like it better then the ims tanks, had a bit of a prob clearing my valve adjustment nut but i just spaced the tank with rubber sheet and it clears.

Good prices and xlnt service if you buy from Thumpertalk...great people :applause:

As for mileage I imagine it's more about the range off a tank than the actual mileage. If mileage is truly the concern then may I suggest a Vespa? 😛

Amen brother :applause::eek:🙂

good gas mileage and hole lot of fun.i do a burn out and catwalk every time i leave work.if you go to long you will get monkey butt

I take my WR450F to work every chance I get. I commute about 20 miles or so. She is geared up 15/44 with street tires and does great. Sold my '98 ZX9R after it sat up for a few months.