Sign in to follow this  

Higgins area

Anyone ride the West Higgins or Geels trails lately? Just wanted to know which would be the best choice for the wife and kid to ride. They don't care a whole lot for the deep deep sand. After riding Gladwin, I can't really blame them too much! Also can you get to the south geels trail from the north parking area? Or is there another lot? Don't see one on the map I have. Oh yeah, and hello everyone!

Just re-brushed Geels (and so rode the whole trail) over the 4th holiday. Neither loop was that bad for sand. If you avoid the east side of the south loop from cut off to cut off, it's pretty decent. That section is in the jackpine and pretty sandy/whooped (still nothing compared to Gladwin).

The DNR map is incorrect, there is a legal trail (road actually) from the parking lot to the south trail.

We usually take the kids on the south loop as it has enough cut offs we can make the ride vary in length as needed. While the north has a cut off on it as well, it usually makes for a longer total ride than hitting the south.

Because of the various loop options, I'd suggest Geels for family riding over West Higgins..