Sign in to follow this  

Paddle tires

Me and a couple of buddies are going to be riding in the sand dunes in early august, and i was just looking for some info. from you guys. Everybody that i have talked to has told me that i should definitely get a rear paddle. It is a long drive so we will probably only go once a year or so. Does anybody know of any cheap places to purchase paddles? I am thinking an 8 paddle will be good. Let me know if you guys have any info. Thanks

What size bike? 8 paddles are good for most bikes except 125's and 80's.

Oops, I didn't see the DRZ400 part in your screen name. An 8 paddle would be perfect. Monkeybuttparts in AZ has good prices and great service.

I run a Cheng Shin Sand Pro on my CRF450, I paid a whopping $14+$10 shipping on ebay. I think I saw someone advertising them for $38 in Dirt Bike Mag a while back.

i've got the same sort of question:

Me and a few mates are going riding up in North Queensland, and we'll be riding in some of the dunes there, BUT, at the same time, we're going to be riding on a few mates properties and hopefully some MX tracks.. So, i was thinking about getting a whole set-up, paddle tyre, rim etc etc... and i spoke to one of the motorbike shops here and they said it'd cost about $1000.00 AUD...

So my question is, is there a easier way to do it, and i don't want to be messing around with changing tyres? or is that my only option?

Why stop there? Why not get a whole bike and have the dealer install a paddle so you don't have to go through the agony of pulling the axle out and adjusting the chain? :applause: Sorry, I'm just feeling like a smartass today. I don't know why a lot of people on this board have such a fear of swapping tires on a dirt bike. It takes me more time to get the wheel off the bike than it does to get the tire swapped. I use longish tire irons and lots of Dawn dishwashing soap to lube the new tire, and I think that it helps keep the tire from sticking to the rim as well. It's no different than anything else in life, the more you do it the better you'll be!

Yes to a certain degree but I can change out my dirt tire and rim set up and put my paddle tire and rim set up in about 2 min tops and it usualy takes oh even the fastest guy like the guys on the Baja 500 it takes them a minimum of 10-15 min for the dirt bike riders to change out a tire if they have to so It is definatly faster to pull the axle out and just put on a complete set up rim with a paddle.

what I would do DRZ400RYDR is go to e-bay and look for a used one or put a post on the general forum for a used drz400 rim or go to the ride forum and go to southwest or which ever is your area or the DRZ400 forum and post and ask if anyone has a used drz400 rim they could sell you. The reason I say that is I posted in my forum the KLX/KLR forum because I have a KLX 300 and I got a used rim from a fellow TT'r that sold me a used rim in great condish for $75 bucks witch is such a good deal because for a complete rim you would usualy pay $550 just for a new rim and that is including the brake disc and the sprocket. just some Ideas. :applause:

Why stop there? Why not get a whole bike and have the dealer install a paddle so you don't have to go through the agony of pulling the axle out and adjusting the chain? :eek: Sorry, I'm just feeling like a smartass today. I don't know why a lot of people on this board have such a fear of swapping tires on a dirt bike. It takes me more time to get the wheel off the bike than it does to get the tire swapped. I use longish tire irons and lots of Dawn dishwashing soap to lube the new tire, and I think that it helps keep the tire from sticking to the rim as well. It's no different than anything else in life, the more you do it the better you'll be!

You have to take the wheel off to change the tire anyway... so if he has the$ why not buy the whole rim setup... thats definatly faster.

Unless of course you change your tire w/ the rim still on... or something. :applause:

if you cant get a good deal on a rim/hub/spokes complete then i think the 15 minutes to change the tire over is well worth saving $500-$700 for a complete new set-up

i would bring the tire irons and a few extra tubes(just incase) and have your self a good time and with the moeny you save but something more useful for your bike

Does anybody know of any cheap places to purchase paddles?

If you are in the Denver metro area, Performance Cycle has the best deals in town on EVERYTHING!:applause:

http://performancecycle.com/