Sign in to follow this  

Considering three bikes. . . .

New to Thumpertalk, and I wanted to first ask possibly one of the most frequent questions: which bike would I be best suited to? The three I am considering are a basically new XR400, a low-mileage CRF 450, and a KTM 450EXC. I'll probably use the bike at some point for dual-sport and extend my riding into late fall and early spring with the possibility of light MX or trail. I already have a Ducati, so I know the drill for high-maintenance bikes, but I'd perfer a more reliable bike if I'm out in the elements. I have done some reaserch on weights, power, and valves. But in real-world use, how do these stack up? Thanks for any opinions.

One thing about a KTM, the weight of the bike is very low. I don't mean what it weighs. I mean center of gravity. KTM is my first choice!

Jax.

The CRF is a good bike but it's an MX bike with a close ratio 5 speed (I believe) so it would not make a good dual sport candidate. Not to mention it won't power lights. The EXC would a good choice if you want a competition level offroad bike when you're not dual sporting. The XR would be the best choice if you really don't want to work on the bike much and you'll be doing more dual sporting than fast woods riding.

All are good bikes, though.

What jeb said. I'll bet you'll love any of the three but IMO the KTM will be the best in the woods. Good Luck !

The KTM would be a great bike for you. It would be good to dual sport, it's fast in the woods, and it's a blast to ride! I just got one a few weeks ago. I came off an XR400. Which is a great bike. VERY bulletproof. It will last forever (almost). It's a good woods bike. I raced enduros with it. Haven't ridden a CRF, so I don't have anything good/bad to say. I am selling my XR, let me know if you're interested. :applause:

Now that I'm ready to jump right in to the Orange fold, the guy who's selling the 450 also has a 520 he'd like to offload. I would be using the bike for mixed purpose, dual-sport, and commuting. I weigh 175 and am more experienced at street riding. The bike would be a short-hop commuter and occasional track bike. Is the 520 too much? The 520 is already set up and streetable.