Sign in to follow this  

FE550 or EXC525?

Need advice on which bike to purchase. I know both are very good. Has anyone out there ridden both. The Husaberg is cheaper to purchase in AUS. due to run out deals with lots of added extras($1800). Ktm dealers only offer a few minor add ons(barkbusters and bashplate). Which way do I fall? thanks in anticipation, B.

Haven't ridden Husaberg, but,

Sidetrack mag had test a little while ago of the big bores - KTM525 & Husaberg 550,650 incuded. I'll see if i can dig it up.

550 has more go than 525.

One of the testers was pretty keen on the 550, he was gonna buy one.

Husaberg 2nd hand resale price drops pretty quick.

KTM's hold value better.

I second the resale value. My dad is looking to get back into dirtbiking and he wanted to leave his options open. He talked around and found that the FE450 is going to be a bear to sale. The Husa's are sick bikes but unless you want to part out a bike when you're ready to sell, go with the 525E.

I'll take above advice into consideration when purchasing soon! Looked at previous posts in the Ktm forum and my enquiry was raised about 3-4 months ago. Thanks for the responses, B.

I own an 03 525 and have ridden an 05 550 for about 100km in single trail and more open terrain. Both are very nice bikes and I would happily own either.

Resale is a consideration with the 'bergs they definitily don't sell for as much second hand. I believe this will improve now that they are manufactured in Austria and the quality has picked up.

The 550 makes a little more power everywhere but in the same smooth fashion as the 525. There is more vibration though.

The steering is also better than my 03 and the suspension was better than my 03 standard (mine is modified).

The ergo's aren't as nice for me as the tank is wider due to the air filter design.

The 'berg feels a little lighter to ride but not significantly.

I'm getting another KTM this time as I'm getting a very good deal and I know that I won't drop much over the next 2 years. If the 'bergs continue improving and their re-sale improves I'll definitely be looking at them next time.

Craigy

Just bought the 525 yesterday, one day on it I am sold.....my major selling point was availability of parts if I need them. It is wicked strong considering last ride I had was a 96 XR600.