Sign in to follow this  

stiffing the front forks

I have some front forks and was wondering how to stiffin them up i've heard ppl sticking sockets in the fork tube to compress the springs better and i know u can buy longer springs and cut some links off but if the socket method works and doenst damage anything than that would be the cheapest way to go can some help me out

yeah i tryed that it didnt stiffin them up enough but could i put like two of the same sockets in it to stiffen them up or would i be better off buying longer springs and cutting some links off?

You might try automotive valve springs for a cheap way to stiffen them and add travel. Take out one of your springs and go to a shop that rebuilds engines, match the diameter. They should have old springs you could get for free. Otherwise a short piece of pvc pipe would work as a spacer.

sweet i never thought of that i work at an auto repair shop so i geuss i'll do some lookin tomorrow thanx

im getting stiffer springs put in my bike atm, hope it improves it alot, as the old springs didnt have enough spring inthm to lift the bike up

depends on what kind of bike he has... 50's from honda don't have fork oil, just grease on the springs, i got some stiffer springs from bbr, they are stock length and work great

p.s. i weigh around 200lbs.