Sign in to follow this  

Question About A Used 'E' Model

My buddy is looking at a used 2002 E model to buy. He's a little concerned about the rear suspension...

The bike has been raced a few times, but the suspension seems really low in the rear compared to my 2004 S model. The spring pre-load is set right in the middle of the adjustment range. Does this mean the spring is toast, perhaps?

:applause:

check to see if it has lowering links on it. mine did and that's what it looked like....took em off cause i'm 6'4" and now it looks right.

Maybe it's been lowered. If he's short, he might want it lower. He'd want to change the springs to his weight anyhow, whether or not they're beat. The stock springs are for around 165lbs I think. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Low nitrigen presure can cause the bike not to fully extend and feel soft the first couple inches of travel after that the spring does it all could be both .. how does the shock shaft look? Any pits? Oil? Bumper cond.?

Shock springs these days are good material. They don't really sack out. I'd look for other reasons it is low in the rear. What happens when you lift up on the rear fender so the suspension is at the top? Is it right then?

Thanks guys...

My buddy is probably going back for a second look today or tomorrow, so this is all good information to help figure out if there's a problem with the rear suspension.

:eek:

He had another question which I couldn't answer...

He's not a big fan of yellow, and was wondering how much it would cost to replace the plastic on a DRZ E model.

:applause:

My preload is set to almost max to get the sag correct for me. I know I need to have Protec (local suspension shop) look at it, maybe next year. Your buddy could always ask to adjust the spring on the 02 before he buys it.

Krylon paint can work wonders on plastic, it's not perfect, but it works.

Keep an eye out on ebay for plastics, I know I do. (just don't out bid be, lol)

Okay Rob, thanks.

And by the way...

You are familiar with this particular buddy of mine who's looking at the 'E'. Here's a clue...

'XT4ME'

Don't reveal your source!

🙂:eek::applause:

You can buy a complete plastics set from Acerbis for around $130 I think. See if the links say Kouba on them. If they do it is using aftermarket lowering links.

Many ebay parts for DRZ are probably stolen. Just keep that in mind that you could be keeping a thief in business. Take it from some one who lost a bike just recently.

While it is a distinct possibility that anything sold on Ebay could be stolen...I would not characterize the whole lot as thieves because of it. As an individual who buys and sells on ebay frequently I would take exception to that characterization.

You can't worry about what you have no possible knowledge of.

Things like "crate" DRZ motors? No such thing, other than a nearly new parted out DRZ motor.

I've bought items off of Ebay too, but now really refuse to buy items that could possibly have been stolen, especially from vehicles. The monetary hit owners take when some f*** walks off with their bike is just too high. I sincerely wish this would never happen to anybody, but I bet if your bike got stolen while being triple locked you'd be pissed off at ebay sellers hawking your old bike.

I am nearly 100% that I've seen parts of my old bike listed on EBAY.

That being the case I would hunt down the seller and investigate. Otherwise the speculation is un-warranted. Good spare motors are rare and could be explanied (as they have been) as insurance claimed totaled bikes. When you give up and part something out...almost anything can be had.

I don't want to get into a pissing match with you about the honesty of Ebay sellers. I am sure you're legit and wish everyone else was. The DRZ community of Thumpertalk is a great resource and I think it behooves us to be aware that large items that are not available OEM, like engines, tend to have a story, as well as like new OEM plastic or even plastic that matches stolen plastic scratch for scratch. A lot of potential DRZ parts buyers are on Thumpertalk and all I wanted to do was ALERT members that some of those parts on Ebay MAY come from stolen bikes. I don't make a lot of money and always look for ways to cut costs too, but I coundn't afford my DRZ being stolen.

My final point is there is no recourse to investigating stolen items on ebay. The motor is question was pulled for sale by the seller when I contacted Ebay and tried to get information about the seller.

Rant off. :applause:

chrisjohn,

I know where you're coming from...

In the mid 90s I was working in DC for $h1T pay and had no money...

Those f-wads first stole my bicycle which I took to get to the metro

to work each day (luckily it was a POS anyway)...

Then coming off a mid-shift one morning I looked for my motorcycle (KLR250)

but it was nowhere to be seen (Yep)...I was so despondent...No freakin' money and now no motorcycle and no money to replace it and only liability insurance...Well...Luckily PG County cops recovered it for me a month later...Some f* had punched the ignition...Anyway after spending $400 to get it back working OK plus paying $75 to get it out of impound...I definitely know how you feel...One things for sure...When you're at the bottom the only way to go is UP!