First time coming up on Saturday

I have a bunch of friends that have been in the Motard thing for about a year. They have been trying to drag me out to do it. Well this Saturday they have wheels, tires for me and are helping me with leathers and all.

Question: I am a "A" Woods rider with a motocross style of riding.

I need tips. It is actually a open track day in the afternoon but a race in the evening. I would like to hold my own.

Any tips will help.

I will be riding my 2004 KTM 300MXC I have it set up good. It flies. I know it will not be a 450 or a 525 but I will do my best.

Check every nut and bolt, safety wire the drain bolt and filler, change all fluids, lube and adjust your chain, set your tire pressure, don't forget your catch can. Take fuel, oil, tools, rags, water, Gaterade, Red Bull, easy-up, lunch, and a victory beer for after! I like to bring baby wipes to cool off in between rides, sound weird, but is really refreshing. If you have a scrap of carpet, it makes your pit a little more comfy too. Don't drink as many beers as you usually do the night before, believe me, it sucks to try and race with a hang-over! Oh, and get some sleep!

Just go and have fun like RAD said! You will have a faster learning curve, I belive, than someone with a road race background. It took me a few race weekends to get the speed up and to totally change my style of riding, since I have a road race background hardley any dirt. Slideways

i'm also an A enduro rider and the biggest thing i noticed was to use sweeping lines. the cut and thrust style we use in eastern enduros is way different. you'll get it fast, just stay foward and on the gas till you think you might not make the turn and you'll be good. you may also never get tired, this is way easy on you after racing 120 mile enduros. good luck!

A couple guys I know are ridiculously fast woods riders and A level hare scramblers and I noticed that the braking on pavement threw them for a loop initially. They would be locking up the back wheel all over and not use the front brake enough. On pavement, almost all of your braking comes from the front brake so don't be afraid to use it hard. When your braking hard with the front, the back will be light so go really easy on the back brake. If you lock the back brake when coming into a turn, your ass end will be swapping all over the place.