Sign in to follow this  

Rollinsville/Winter park

I just wanted t/IMG]

Nice pics. Now all those outta staters will believe there's still alotta snow up here.

I just wanted to let anyone interested know that the Rollinsville pass to winter park is now passable. I did it with my 625 Supermoto last weekend.

corona027.jpg

corona008.jpg

I hope you aren't implying that it's open from the Eastern side to the Western side since it's closed to motor vehicles.

I was curious about this too. Here's the reply I got:

There is no legal route for driving across Rollins Pass. The road is

closed at the Needle's eye tunnel and at the twin Tressels. There is an

illegal route that we have blocked and posted closed repeatedly, but

determined individuals have breached the closure many times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maribeth H. Pecotte

Boulder Ranger District

phone: 303-541-2503

fax: 303-541-2515

email: mpecotte@fs.fed.us

gcouture, if you did this, you are part of the problem that is destroying our sport.

Especially in this area where the Peoples Republik of Boulder, home of the transplanted Eco Nazi's reside.

Is there another legal way to ride into Winterpark?

I know one of my friends does it sometimes but I am not sure of the route.

Up I-70 to Berthoud Pass. Other than that, no trail. It used to be open years ago but has been closed for a long time. There is a trail that goes over but it's clearly marked as closed. Last year when we were up there, the Ranger was giving tickets to people coming down the 4x4 trail.

Up I-70 to Berthoud Pass. Other than that, no trail. It used to be open years ago but has been closed for a long time. There is a trail that goes over but it's clearly marked as closed. Last year when we were up there, the Ranger was giving tickets to people coming down the 4x4 trail.

I am going to have to have a little talk with my bud.

Seems like he stated there was a way from Nederland to Eldora to Winterpark, maybe.

Or it was Georgetown to Winterpark, can't remember.

I went with him once and got to a tunnel that is blocked off. The trail leading up to it was not marked closed though. Maybe it was a different place because I know I wouldn't ride on it if it was marked closed.

The trail from eldora is pretty simple. You can start at Magnolia RD and work your way into eldora. You have to connect to the Jenny Creek trail that brings you into rollinsville. You can take a right and follow a trail that leads up to yankee doodle lake or you can go straight and it wiill connect with the portal road. In this case you take a right hand turn at the lake and climb up on the ridge. There were many bikes and 4X4's on this trail so I doubt it is closed like some have said.

Which part of his post don't you understand? It's CLOSED, period and the response he posted is from the Forest Service verifying what we are telling you. If you are going over you are the pass you are riding an illegal trail.

The trail we are referring to is the one you travelled. It's on the opposite side of the road from the lake and it goes over the top. 4x4 trail.

I've ridden that trail/road from Yankee Lake too (the summer before last). Maybe they've closed and marked it since then? Thanks for the head up that it's a closed route.

When I did it, there were no markings either and the road was so well worn and used that it seems as it should be open. You can see where the forest service has done some work up there and closed off some spurs using concrete barriers, but not on the road that leads up the ridge. It's not marked coming from the winter park side either. I understand that this doesn't makes it OK, nor do I mean to argue that it isn't closed. I'm just saying that I understand how Gcouture could have thought it was open.

Anyway, I wouldn't have ridden it if there was any indication that it was closed. I certainly won't ride it again either, but I'll stop in at the forest service office and double check and report back. Maybe they'll put some signs up so unsuspecting people don't ride a closed trail they didn't know was closed.

Just to clarify the closure, I e-mailed Maribeth again and here is the response.

To: John Riott

Cc: Paul Krisanits

Subject: Re: Rollins Pass

No, it's not a legal route. The route you're talking about is permanently

closed. We have blocked and posted the road closed repeatedly, but

determined individuals remove our signs and use their winches to remove the

barriers we put in place. The route is part of the old Boulder Wagon Road

and that section of it weaves in and out of the Indian Peaks Wilderness

Area boundary - that's one of the reasons it is closed to all motorized and

mechanized access.

Maribeth H. Pecotte

Boulder Ranger District

phone: 303-541-2503

fax: 303-541-2515

email: mpecotte@fs.fed.us

I'm not trying to give you guys a bunch of crap. I just don't want this area closed down.

The closure and lack of legal route has been clearly marked on the Trails Illustrated map since the 1996 version. The National Forest map doesn't show a route either. I'm not the official historian of Rollins Pass, but I'll go out on a limb and venture from my failing memory that it has been closed much longer than 9 years. I think the tunnel was collapsing in the 70s.

If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?

If a moron rips down a sign, is it legal to go ahead and ride?

I'd suggest taking a quick look at a reasonably current map before riding. Between any signs left after the vandalism, and the map, you should be covered. A good faith effort will certainly help the sport.

:applause:

Technically, only trails marked specifically open are open, marked with a white arrow on a marker post. If not marked either way it is closed. Kinda screwy but that's the way its been portrayed to me by the rangers.