Sign in to follow this  

what gear to get for a newbie

Hey everyone. I'm brand new to riding and have a couple of questions. I recently bought a 2002 yz250f and plan on mostly riding trails although i could see myself getting out on a track. I'm already planning on getting the 03 e cam mod so i can get an easier kick. Didn't know how hard that would be... oh well :applause:. anyway, i already spent a good amount on the bike and want to ride some trails besides the fields near my house. What should i get in terms of gear and where are some good deals. Also, any newbie advice specific to my bike would be great. :eek: Thanks guys.

Check on Ebay, as I see a lot of gear brand new, real darn cheap. Also, in the back of any of the bike mags are gear combos that seem like a good deal. Most of the jerseys are very similar. Just buy some stuff thats not super expensive, last years model etc.

Boots are more important. I bought some real cheap boots (Alpinestar M4) and now I regret it. They are starting to hurt my feet more, instead of breaking in. Buy some cheaper clothing and save $$ for good boots.

You are going to need to try on different helmets to find one that fits and is comfortable. Again, don't spend a ton of $$ on a fancy looking helmet. Try and find one with a removable liner for ease of cleaning. Once you find one that fits, you can support the local dealer, or remember the size, style and brand and shop online to save some money.

Get some good goggles and gloves as well. If you are going to be riding offroad, pockets are real nice in the pants.

Protective gear such as chest protector, arm pads, kneegaurds (a must IMHO) are also going to need to be tried on first. I've found that AXO gear sucks rocks, if you want some of mine give me your address (I'm serious). A camelback is also a real nice addition if you ride offroad.

When I ride offroad, I've got on boots, knee guards, heavy duty MX pants, a jersey, elbow guards, chest protector, helmet, gloves, goggles, and a camelback with tools, emergency gear, 1st aid kit, cell phone, spark plug, a snack and lot's of water.

The cam mod is real nice, and not too hard to do. You will need a torque wrench and some assembly lube.

Lukejt

consider buying a package deal from a volume store like Chapparel or others...often you can find 'last years colors' at a significant reduction...

For under $300 you can get most of what ya need.

Also--for trail riding--all the gear is good nowadays....although obviously some is better than others. Package deals from ONeil, Shift, Acerbis, Fox, TLD, Sinisola, MSR and others will keep the cost down. If you are a big dude dont buy european made stuff...

Items to get::

Helmet, goggles, gloves,

boots, knee guards/braces (a must!)

somekind of chest/spine/elbow protection (i like the under jersey one piece units)

pants and jersey.

Pants with pockets are nice for trailing.

Also everyone now rides with a camelback to carry the camera, sandwich, car keys and most importantly--the 1+ litre of water.

Add some basic tools and you are the man...

Ditto on Lukejt's suggestions. But just as important is basic mechanical knowledge of your bike. Ask yourself what would I do if the bike stalls and won't start? Flat tire? and you're miles from home alone out on a trail as the sun is going down. And, your cell phone if you're carrying one won't get a signal...hmmm. This is not a time to wish you had the tools and the knowledge to change/fix a flat trailside. Just a thought. Congrats on the new bike.

boots for sure, chest protector, and a nice jersey thats not too hot. Anti fog goggles are good, and a quality brain bucket is nice.

Thanks for all the advice guys, i probably wouldn't have thought about the camelback til i got on the trails. I've been looking around online and found some good deals, though i probably will splurge on the boots. Any suggetstions? everyone seems to like alpinestar tech 6...

thanks again for the advice

Just remembered, bark busters are a must in the woods.

Lukejt

thats a great bike and get your gear from online stores like rockymoutain and motorsportoutlet