Sign in to follow this  

Stonyford Information Please

The last time I was at Stonyford I had just bought my CRF450R, did not know how to ride it and was very discouraged. I still have the 450 but now mostly ride my CRF250X, "It is more suited to my riding style" SLOW. What I would like to know is what trails at Stonyford are good for Novice riders and what is the best camp or site to access them from? Last time I was there I was at Davis Flat and went out on a trail just across the street from there that seemed to go straight up, next thing that I knew I was up on a Mountain looking down at my truck. I am a better rider now but still would like to know what trails to try when I get there. I am from Sacramento and it is quite a drive to get there so I really want to see the place that I have read about so much without having to get in the way of riders that are out of my league.

From davis flat there are basically 5 trails up to the main trail system.

30 (easy), 38 (black diamond), 40 (intermediate but should be a black diamond), 34(easy), and 32 (intermediate).

It sounds like you took Trail 30. 30 is on the south side of davis flat, you ride through the kiddie section(nail track) to get to it. It is basically a road that climbs to the ridge top. You gan elevation very fast. once you get to the top hang a right, Trail 30 follows the ridge and M5 up to the trees. From there you get into the trails. Try trail 20 and 22, 21 and 26(Just don't go down Crackerbox unless you are feeling good). There are more and better trails up off of 34 and 32 but I don't remember the #'s. If your skills are what you describe you might be best to stay over by M5 so that you can get on it and blast back if you get tired. IMO the trail system at stony is under rated. The easy trails there are intermediate at other parks, intermediate trails there are black diamonds at other parks.

Master the trails that i talk about above and then you will be better suited to try the rest of the system.