Sign in to follow this  

Does wrist curls help from getting arm pump?

I'm going to add this to my workout if it would help with arm pump.

I ride good thru the day until my arms start to give out before my body.

Although last weekend my body gave out right after my arms did.

I was thinking light weights for 4 sets and probably 12-20 reps.

Plus I just started focusing on gripping with my legs more and be over the bars when I'm on the gas standing up. So the bike is pushing instead of pulling me...

Plus standing thru some of the corners helps as well.

Keep it Down

don't forget to do the extensors and flexors on your wrist, matter of fact be sure to work the antagonist - agonist system of your body, working only on wrist flexion will create an imbalance for your wrist extensors. getting stronger/more fit can only help. The part to remember when riding though is to be "HEAVY on the feet, LIGHT on the hands"

john

if u wan to stop arm pump take a pvc pipe and put a rope thru the middle then put a weight on the bottom and then roll it up.

Besides gripping with your legs and relaxing your grip when you can, try the hand/wrist/forearm exercises, but if it doesn't help, I would say to stretch more. If you ride alot, you're forearms are probably plenty strong, but a bit tight, causing less blood to be absorbed by and pass through the muscles. Strech 'em out, lengthen the muscles, which will take pressure off of the capillaries, blood vessels, and arteries, allowing them to do their job of carrying blood. Doing more arm/wrist exercises may actually make it worse.

I saw the Semics video on arm pump. If I remember correctly he has a routine of about three different forarm excersizes that you do. They were done with free weights. You want to get the arms right up to the point before they pump up and then stop. Over time your threshhold will become higher. Or so I've heard....

The only thing that helped me with arm pump was overall training. High levels of Cardio and strong leg workouts. This way you depend less on your upper body strength to hold on to the bike.

the yan is right. The rolling up and down will get both sides of the forearms very good. I have increased my potassium intake and decreased the amount of caffine. All three things have helped me a lot.

Get A Bunch Of Silly Puddy And Squeeze It In Your Hands For About 10 Min Every So Often Durng The Day Will Help Alot Too

Plus Relieves Frustration

another good exercise is to take a 10lb or so wieght and hold it in your hand and then rotate your wrist like your turning a door knob. we had to do these for baseball and they are killer!

A better workout than just plain wrist curls would be to get a big bucket of sand and put your hands down in the sand up to the wrists and start squeezing and expanding your fingers really quick like. we did this back in my baseball days and helps with bloodflow to your hands and arms as well.

I remember seeing somewhere where you hang on a pullup bar with your arms fully extended for as long as you can and it was supposed to prevent armpump. Is this true?

does anybody have problems with just the throttle arm getting arm pump ...i have never been a bad suffer of arm pump untill the switch to four strokes

The key is light weight, high reps. You want to develop fast twitch muscles that carry oxygen like runners or basketball players. The opposite is muscles that are trained for power like power lifters = arm pump.

if u wan to stop arm pump take a pvc pipe and put a rope thru the middle then put a weight on the bottom and then roll it up.

he forgot to add something, keep the pipe level and your arms extended. it works very well. :applause:

I have a friend who plays hockey and is very big into foosball........now hang in there with me for a minute..anyway i swapped out riding and sprained my right wrist, he see's me and said he has something that will work and help me out. Now this is based on the weight on the string twisting, rolling concept. He directed me to epuck.com and there is a device that i ordered there that has really helped me out tremendously. It's called the Power Arm Wrist & Forearm Trainer. It has resistance set in the lower parts of the handles, and it has worked great for me. Not to mention that it's portable. It has been well worth it, of course, along with proper riding technique, it has reduced the fatigue i used to feel when i rode. I think that it has helped in the healing of my wrist and i'll be 100% in half the time that i thought it was going to take for healing of the wrist. JMO.....

I'm going to add this to my workout if it would help with arm pump.

I ride good thru the day until my arms start to give out before my body.

Although last weekend my body gave out right after my arms did.

I was thinking light weights for 4 sets and probably 12-20 reps.

Plus I just started focusing on gripping with my legs more and be over the bars when I'm on the gas standing up. So the bike is pushing instead of pulling me...

Plus standing thru some of the corners helps as well.

Keep it Down

What you described sounds more like general fatigue than arm pump.

Forearm pump usually happens very early in the race/ride. It happens to me very early in the race and once I endure it I'm fine. I used to pump my arms up a lot about 1/2 hour before the race with all of these exercises. It worked most of the time.

Any of the exercises listed by people here will help either forearm pump or general fatigue.