Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke kinda stupid question!

last week after a race when we were packing up i turned my gas off and was running it out and some guy told me that it was a bad thing to do because less gas and oil go into the motor right before it shuts down and you can sieze it like that. is this true?? :applause:

hmm really doubt it. ive left my gas off many times, gone for about 5 mins, then burrrrrraaaaprrrrrr. and while im fussin and yellin at my bike for fouling a plug i look and my gas is off :eek: if i know it will be sitting for a while i will turn the gas off and run it out to keep the carb clean.

so i really doubt your doing any harm. i also usually give it a little rev and turn it off at the same time to keep the plug clean :applause:

It can seize.. Best too shut it off normally, then if you are going too store it for a while, remove the jet plug on the bottom of the float bowl too remove the excess fuel..

It can seize.. Best too shut it off normally, then if you are going too store it for a while, remove the jet plug on the bottom of the float bowl too remove the excess fuel..

thats what ive been doing, i ride every week but i still drain the gas out.

i have been shutting my gas off then running it then shutting off every bike ive ever owned and never had a problem i would tell him to suck a tree you ever blow your bike up from running out of gas????????????????????????????????????? i dont think so

Yes that dude is right. Because your bike runs out of fuel and runs very lean. It's just like running straight unleaded. The bike doesn't get any lube (or fuel).

without fuel the motor stalls...the lube is in the gas its mixed in what are you talking about that it can blow up????

the motor does not run lean it runs out of gas and stalls

the motor does not run lean it runs out of gas and stalls

Actually it runs really lean just before it shuts down....sometimes it could even run away its so lean.

lean = much hotter combustion.

I don't think the bike runs in that condition long enough to hard sieze... and minor scuffing is what a 2 smoke is all about right! :applause:

I have ran the gas out of my bikes like that million times.

On a 2-stroke this is not a good idea. Like others have said, the engine will "run away" or increase in rpm just before it runs out of fuel. This increase in engine speed at the time when the bike runs out of fuel can cause mild seizures.

If you want to drain the carb, loosen the drain screw at the bottom.

last week after a race when we were packing up i turned my gas off and was running it out and some guy told me that it was a bad thing to do because less gas and oil go into the motor right before it shuts down and you can sieze it like that. is this true?? :applause:

Concievably, yes. They are lubricated from the bottom AND the top. The top/combustion chamber is lubed by the oil in the gas. Even a miture too lean can grenade a piston (or octane too low). I've done it.

I would not shut the gas off unless it was going to sit for a month OR if you are going to trailer it long distances. THAT can be nightmarish, as you can have a comustion chamber full of fuel from all the boucy-boucy, and it'll end up mostly in your crankcase. IF you can start it. (Learned this in Baja. Bummer.)

Gasoline makes lousy gear oil. :eek:

I turn the gas off before I stop the motors on all of my bikes. I don't let it run out, but I blip the throttle 3-4 times and then kill the motor. I just don't want as much gas in the float while traveling. It all started with an older bike and I didn't know about adjusting the float level. Anyway, the bike would drip gas from the float while in the back of the truck, even with the gas off. To fix the problem, I just ran the bike a little longer with the gas shut off.

The only time I think it could cause problems to your motor is if you actually run the bike out of gas. If you don't get to the increased idle stage, you still have enough gas to supply the motor.

I turn the gas off before I stop the motors on all of my bikes. I don't let it run out, but I blip the throttle 3-4 times and then kill the motor. I just don't want as much gas in the float while traveling. If you don't get to the increased idle stage, you still have enough gas to supply the motor.

Yup, been doing it this way for 15 years !!

man. you guys are really really anal. here's what i do when i pack up. first i stop the bike. then i put it in the truck. then (occasionally) i turn the gas off. i only drain the carb if i'm going to leave the bike parked for more than a couple months. which is pretty much never.

i do drain the carb on my streetbike sometimes (and use sta-bil in the tank) cuz that does get parked for 2-3 months at a time in the winter.

Done the same thing once(about leaving the gas off and going riding for about 5 minutes) i really got pissed that the plug was fouled already. and then i walked to bike home and sat it for like an hour, then got out and realized the gas was off :applause: , pretty embarassing actually :eek:

is all the suff your talking about ONLY applying to 2 strokes??

And what does seize your motor mean?

Are you kidding???? That is pure BS. The oil is in the gas you retards. When you turn the gas off it doesn't turn the oil off and by some magical power run only on un-mixed gas. And are you saying that the few strokes the piston makes after the gas runs out makes a difference? That's like saying that you'll seize it if you try kick starting it without twisting the throttle. Some people should ride more and quit being so paranoid.

That's like saying that you'll seize it if you try kick starting it without twisting the throttle. Some people should ride more and quit being so paranoid.

hmm good point, never thought of that.