Sign in to follow this  

will kx85 forks fit a ttr125le

hey everybody.. my brother has started really jumping his ttr and wanted to know about new forks. i know that yz 85 forks will fit, but what about kx85 forks that are from 2001. the forks come with triple clamps. could somebody list every last part that would be needed with KX85 forks to make them fit. if yz85 forks are easier then i can just wait. but will i need new things like wheels, brakes, mastercylinders :applause:

also what do i need to do to bring the rear up with these forks

I would hold out and get a complete front suspension off of a yz 80 or 85 then you will only need minimal parts other than the spacer kit. For the back get a shock off of the same bike.

ok.. thanks. so it seems like they do fit, but ill probably hold off till i can find some yz stuff. there are many more places that show how to put a yz front end on. and about putting the shock on the bike. yz80/85 shocks dont fit without doing some modding of the frame.. and im not about to start doing all that :applause:

bikewallpaper.jpg

KX85 forks, 2001.

If that's what you can get, they work. You'll need the brake caliper for it. Other than the washers that you need to mount either brand forks on a TTR, you will need to trim down the steering blocks on the lower tree.

They are 3 inches longer than TTR forks. I had mine lowered, but you can raise the rear with a BBR swingarm or Works shock (or both).

Be prepared. It ain't cheap. I pinched pennies everywhere I could and still have over $400 in the front end (professional rebuild and lower included). The swingarm is nearly that much as well. You should be thinking different bike by now.

well seeing that i don't have to buy new calipers with the yz forks, or do any trimming of anything i think ill get yz85 forks. how do you get them lowered. because getting a works shock or bbr swingarm is our of the question :applause:

It was for me too. I sent mine to Hygear in NY because I coudn't get the cartridge apart (didn't have the special tools). Any major susp. place can do it, but NY was cheaper to ship too and Hygear was cheaper as well.

You can search the web for cartridge fork service for disassembly/reassembly. Lowering involves putting in a spacer between the valve and the top out spring (complete disassembly of cartridge required, not just the top cap.

I went KX85 since they were about $100 cheaper than YZ forks (including the caliper).

Just depends on what's available at the time on Ebay.

Even shortened they have about as much travel as the stockers. You can get different valving though which is the big plus.

The KX forks will work fine some say they are better(?). As was said before you will need a new caliper but other than that the mod is the same as the YZ stuff. You will need to shorten them. I shortened mine 3 inches. If you can't do the work yourself it can be costly. It seems the KX stuff sells for a little less than the YZ. Hers a pic of my sons bike.

ttr125mod.jpg