Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400=The military should use them!

Maybe they already do, but these bikes are so rugged and versitile, the military should use them. I know the army used the KLX650 for a time, but that bike is just too heavy for serious off road use. Anyone know if the military is using these?

For obvious reasons they use air cooled bikes... there is a company that makes bikes especially for special ops use... kinda like a bike humvee... :applause: Andrew

Marines use em too. big ugly green things... I haven't really understood the purpose of the moto scouts..... ... ... Mainly because I would not make myself such an easy target. So I came to the conclusion moto scouts are expendable.

Note to self: riding motorcycle in war zone is not for me. :applause:

That and a bright yellow DRZ would scare the enemy too much :eek: against the Geneva convention

That diesel engine is something else! If gas prices keep rising, I'm gonna have to find one!!

And they went with water cooled. Not cool on the battlefield :eek:

They probably use Unabiker guards. A direct hit would remove the bike from around the radiators! :applause:

Ian

My local police department uses DRZs, but I'm not sure they'd work too well in the military, at least considering how much gear they have to carry, etc. I assume that'd be about like carrying a passenger which kinda sucks on a DRZ.

The local cops I've talked to are thrilled with the DRZs and are happy to be off the old XT350s they used to ride.

I just have to say it... now that I have my Motard wheels on and running.... .... .... I lust for you brake gcvt :applause::eek:

Sorry, but it is true. I will need it too when my engine gets done. 🙂

I just have to say it... now that I have my Motard wheels on and running.... .... .... I lust for you brake gcvt :applause:😛

Sorry, but it is true. I will need it too when my engine gets done. 😛

🙂😛 :p

I lusted for it too....and it has provided me with immeasurable pleasure :eek:😛

STock KLR would blow away one of them diesil contraptions

I'm not so sure. The 38hp that they make is pretty damned impressive. But that's not why the military bought them. It doesn't matter how fast a stock KLR is when the only fuel you have on hand is military jet fuel or kerosene. According to the web page, the diesel bike will run on:

* Commercial Diesel Fuels, including low sulfer fuels, such as CARB Diesel

* NATO Military Spec Diesel Fuel

* Bio-Diesel (B20 or B100)

* Aviation Kerosene including JP4, JP5, JP8, and AVTR

* Kerosene

What's the range of a stock KLR? The diesel bike gets over 100mpg. That translates to a lot of range with that big tank that they have.

I think that it's a seriously cool bike and I'd love to buy one.

My local police department uses DRZs. The local cops I've talked to are thrilled with the DRZs and are happy to be off the old XT350s they used to ride.

Same here in Halifax.

i the uk we have a motorbike section of the army that uses the drz as standard, but they have slapped some camo paint to make it look scaring.....

You notice their tippy toed on them...Is the seat height really high on a KLR650 frame or has the new rear suspension made them taller...Or are those guys just short?

I spent 4 years as a section and platoon level machine gunner in the infantry.

This wasn't mechanized, we were a jump company but spend most of our time doing straight TABs for 20+K carrying over 100lbs of equipment on average.

I never saw, nor could ever imagine any use for any motorcycle in an infantry setting other than it being a giant pain in the ass and magnet for enemy fire. One would be an individual out there, the complete anti-thesis of the infantry motto of mission first, team second, self last.

There may be some limited applications for base security--I know the airforce uses them. But again a quad would be a more efficient platform for the operator, one could even fire a personal weapon with some stabilty from a quad or use it as a cover from sight or fire.

Any time you are near a battlefield or near "contact" the last thing you would want would be a motorcycle. That's just catoon shit for guys with science fiction jetpacks and red cobra symbols painted on their helmets.

That diesel engine is something else! If gas prices keep rising, I'm gonna have to find one!!

Enjoy riding an 8 hp bike!

Granted...combat situations are not what I had in mind. Everything else....yep, they could be very handy to have around.

P.s. Consider me in line for one of those jetpacks when they finally perfect them.....a lime green one. :applause: