Sign in to follow this  

Garage cabinets

I am looking to rearrange my living room(garage). I was thinking of something like a kitchen cabinet type thing going along a wall. You know what I mean???

Sears is kinda $$$$. does anyone know of a place (Texas area) that has garage cabinets in a cheaply way ??

I put 3 wall cabinets $58 each and 4 storage cabinets $118 each in my garage about 6 months ago. I bought them locally at Lowes but the link below shows some pics of the cabinets. If your tight on $$$$ you can add a cabinet as the budget allows.

So far they are holding up extremely well.

See tuff duty cabinets here

Got any buddies in carpentry? People re-model their kitchens every day and throw away perfectly good, but dated looking, cabinets in the process. If nothing else, call a few kitchen remodeling guys and ask them for a few sets of throw-away cabinets. A little sanding, some primer & paint, new door pulls, and you've got a great set of garage cabinets!

I put 3 wall cabinets $58 each and 4 storage cabinets $118 each in my garage about 6 months ago. I bought them locally at Lowes but the link below shows some pics of the cabinets. If your tight on $$$$ you can add a cabinet as the budget allows.

So far they are holding up extremely well.

See tuff duty cabinets here

Ditto on the Lowes cabinets. I just did my garage about a month ago. painted the floor, etc... Makes a big difference. Just looks so much better and everything is organized.

Will second Loews. They also have killer deals on Kitchen cabinet installs gone wrong.

remodeled the house... used the old kitchen cabinets in the garage... for low low budget find someone remodeling...

for low low budget find someone remodeling...

That's what I did. I found a whole set of kitchen cabinets uppers & lowers from a remodel, "free" just to haul them off. The range hood cabinet I turned upside down and mounted it, the range hood area makes a great place to set/stare stuff plus you have a 16" cabinet underneath. Another thing I did was incorporate a couple old (free) dresser drawers in the lowers (some 24" skins nailed to the sides & top gives you the depth needed) The dressers are taller than your lowers so you have a nice storage area on top and those big deep drawers are great for larger items. Painted everything grey and wahhhhhhlahhhhh!

For counter tops use cheap 5/8" underlayment. Then put 1/8" "hardboard" on top of the underlayment, you can beat that 1/8" hardboard with a sledge and not hurt it, plus it has a nice smooth finish so you wont need formica or other hard surface material. If you do burn or damage the 1/8" all you need to do is pull it up and lay another piece without replacing the whole countertop.

ohhhhhhhhh forgot, Use some inch & a half Oak for a nice tough self edge.

Dumpster diving is a great resource for garage furnitue. All my garage cabnets I have I got from roadside garbage pickup. It took some time, but I now have a nice setup. A little spray paint and they look like new. Garage sales are good sources too.

If you have a table saw and some other woodworking tools, I can send you a copy of some plans that I did for some awesome strong garage cabinets. Lots of 2x4 + Melamine I-beam sections make them strong enough to hold really heavy storage stuff. Each cabinet section is 2'dX4'wX8't, with a middle shelf that is part of the strong structure, and movable shelves in the top and bottom halves. I built two banks of these big boys in our last house's garage....and then the wife wanted to move to a bigger house! :applause: On this 2nd house I was more lazy, and went with the Lowes/OSH approach.

If you want more light-duty kitchen cabinet style storage, then these won't be what you're looking for, though.