Sign in to follow this  

Tires?

Does anyone have a strong recommendation for a good front tire on Colorado terrain?

My 2 cents worth:

Pirelli MT 21: decidely average offroad, great on pavement

Dunlop D606: ok offroad when new, good on pavement

Dunlop D756: great offroad, marginal on pavement

The 756 is my favorite.

Not so hot on the pavement like ZipZip said, but I try to stay away from that stuff!

Bridgestone 601 has been my favorite. Works really well on hard packed dirt, slick rock, blue groove sun baked clay and is very stable at high speeds. Bridgestone 401s works better in softer, light sandy conditions, but gives up some high speed stability and hard pack traction. Never really liked the Dunlop 742s on my CRF450s, and tried a 756 for a while... worked great in softer, deep dirt, but out here in Colorado summers trails and tracks get sun baked and hard.

Any every time, I keep coming back to the 601s.

I like the Maxxis HT front for mountian singletrack. It's a little washy on softer stuff like sand. I don't have that much experience with tires, but I've like this one compared to others I've had.

I've used 755s for mostly trail work, or 742s if it's really rocky and hard surface. Did not like the Pirelli MT44 in harder surfaces, as the sidewall is too flexy. Heard good things about the Bridgestone 401s too. I seem to gravitate toward the softer side of intermediate for a front tire, as the trail seems to get chewed up and powdery during most enduros.