Sign in to follow this  

weight question

Ok well im going to go to a local track this sunday (Seminole Tribe Motocross) and since Im too much of a wimp to hit shit, im going to be following a friend of mine who i know can hit and clear everything. I want to basicly know how much faster do i have to go to clear the same things that he does. He weighs maby 130, im 185. His bike is a CR125, mine is a YZ450(getting a CRF250 soon).

I got into a big discussion about this issue about a week ago. I weigh 225 and I ride a Husky CR125 2004. I have the springs set up for my weight. If I set up the jump, I can go the same speed as the other guys and clear it just the same as they do. There is a double jump right out of a corner (no run ) and I have to go out wide to make the distance. There is another double out of a corner that I can make from the inside but it has a little run. Other lighter guys 150 lbs can make the first jump from the inside on their 125's and not the second one unless they are good at cornering. You are on a YZ450 I might worry about over jumping some of the jumps out of a corner. If there is a staight before the jump then the same speed should be OK just remember he may back off at the top of the jump (2 stoke)(blip the throttle) and you want to keep the throttle on just enough to keep the bike level. I used to have fun on some of the big jumps on my 2003 YZ450 by letting off the throttle and twisting the throttle on in the air, It acted like a see-saw. You will have to see what the speed difference is for you but it may be the same as your buddies. Just don't follow right behind him. I hope this helps. Thanks Mark

You're on a 450F? You may not need to go faster at all, just have the techincal ability to clear stuf. Sounds like you may want to do some more seat time before diving right in and trying everything you see though.

You're on a 450F? You may not need to go faster at all, just have the techincal ability to clear stuf. Sounds like you may want to do some more seat time before diving right in and trying everything you see though.

No I was just confused. There is a 100ft table at my friend's house(no BS either, i would be glad to take pics when i get a chance) that has about a 30ft or more drive to clear out of a 90degree berm and my friend whos on the CR125 hits it in 3rd gear somewhat pinned. Then another friend whos on a YZ450F, 05, like mine but totally stock and he weighs 150 with gear and hits it in 3rd, while mine is somewhat modded with taller gearing and i can clear it in 2nd.