Sign in to follow this  

2 strokes on trails?

I have recently gone from a crf150 to a rm85L and i am very suprised at how awesome this 2 stroke is on the trails. I know that the rm has the best bottom end of the 85 class. I love it on the trials more then the 150. For those who have made the jump from a 4 to a 2, what do u guys thing on the trails.

( please dont tell me to get lost because i do own a 4 stroke, a crf250x in fact, and i ride that a lot also, so dont get the wrong idea about me, i am also a 4 stroke guy)

I recently traded a 98' WR400 for a 98' kx 250 and I wish I would have done it sooner. :eek: I really like a 2 stroke for the woods, alot lighter and you have that instant snap to pull the wheel up over those obstacles you see at the last minute. :applause:

2 strokes are awesome in the woods...my dad's kdx200 has been a very good trail bike so far and has climbed everyhill ive pointed it at. hell, im excited right now cuz we're goin ridin in about...8 minutes for the first time in about 2 weeks since were we usually ride we cant ride there anymore :applause:

I have a KX80, and the 80's are badass to take in trails IMO... just the right speed and if you get in trouble it will still pull you on an incline in 1st gear. Redrider, how tall are you and your age? JW...

After riding my 80 on the trail for like 2 days it was so very hard to go back to the 230... i dont like it at all now. once i am full throttling my 230 im like where is the POWER?

heck yea man.. everybody i ride with around here has smokers and we all ride only trails. it gets a little tricky around here with the redclay, but other than that theyre a BLAST. everybody says you cant ride 2 strokes in the woods. watch a gncc and you could count the number of 4 strokes in it on 1 hand. pretty much all 250 2-strokes.

i got a yz125 about 3 months ago and its soooo fun and all i do is ride trails. after i finish paying it off, ill probably set it up for woods :applause:

2 strokes are awesome in the woods...my dad's kdx200 has been a very good trail bike so far and has climbed everyhill ive pointed it at. hell, im excited right now cuz we're goin ridin in about...8 minutes for the first time in about 2 weeks since were we usually ride we cant ride there anymore :applause:

The KDX 200 isn't just any normal 2-stroke. It's a great woods bike! I'd love to get one if I can find one at the right price. From what I've seen, it would be better (cheaper) for me to get a CR250 then add a flywheel weight and a few other goodies to make it more trail-friendly.

it gets a little tricky around here with the redclay

I live close to a clay field and there is alot of little hills but they are rutted up bad and there are dips and stuff and its rough to go up on a 2 smoker you spin everywhere!

Yeah I switched fomr and XR100 to a KX100 almost a year ago and will never go back to a four-stroke. I know it's not really fair to compare peak horsepower between the two bikes, but I love the on or off feeling of a two-stroke. And the fact that two-strokes have a lower center of gravity and weigh less make them great for tight singletrack.

I got behind a couple of CR250's today and I Had a Hard time Keeping up with them.. They could just flick it around the corners where I had to Steer with the throttle to get the bike turned.

Plus I was giving up a 30+ pounds of bike weight too... Advantange CR250

They could just flick it around the corners where I had to Steer with the throttle to get the bike turned.

Two-strokes are famous for being steered easily with the throttle. Just rev it into the powerband and that backwheel is comin out.

I got behind a couple of CR250's today and I Had a Hard time Keeping up with them.. They could just flick it around the corners where I had to Steer with the throttle to get the bike turned.

Plus I was giving up a 30+ pounds of bike weight too... Advantange CR250

You are giving too much credit to the bike. I've got friends that race the 426 in hare scrambles(A class). I couldn't keep up with him no matter what I ride. I am a C racer. If you don't know how to ride a 2 stroke then it is not neccessarily faster especially when it has rained and it is very slick. I pass a lot of 2 strokes when the going gets slick. Two of my good friends I race with finished 1st and 2nd a couple of seconds apart this past Sunday. One was on a brand new CR250 and one was on an 05 YZ250F.

i personally would stay with four strokes for the tight stuff because you don't bog down as easily.

i personally would stay with four strokes for the tight stuff because you don't bog down as easily.

With proper clutch technique a two-stroke works as well as a four-stroke in any situation. :applause:

I like my 2 stroke better for the tight stuff, much easier to flick back and forth through it do to the lighter weight. Also if I rode the tight stuff for long periods of time I had trouble keeping the bike from over heating because I couldn't get enough air through the radiators. I did an enduro last year that was 45 miles of 1st and 2nd gear tight riding and my bike boiled over 3 or 4 times, had to empty my camel back into the radiators just to finish. I saw quite a few other 4 strokes having the same problem. :applause:

Went from a 250f to a 250 smoker this year. Much better IMO for the woods. Good power, very light and never stalls. EVER. This thing will putt down to what seems 400 rpms then light right up when I tickle the clutch.

Gotta love it.

I read in a mag that th yz 85 (my bike) is the best 85cc bike for more expierenced riders but the rm is second best check the comparison out in the april 2005 motorcross action mag

I just went from 02yz250f to a 03ktm200exc for woods racing. Did my first 30 miles on it this weekend all single track, tight, up and down hills, rocks and roots. The 2 stroke is for me, so much easier and plenty of power, no starting issues. A lot of fun in tight stuff. Just need to adjust exhaust valve timing so I don't ruin my arms. I have done four enduros on the yz250f this year and got to dread them before I even started knowing how much energy hot starting would take. I am so looking forward to my next one on the two stroke. Not even going to tell you how unbelievable the suspension is OH MY GOODNESS its like a Cadillac compared to the yz. oops sorry about that. just my thoughts Scott (c enduro rider)