Sign in to follow this  

Do I need a 10 series plug?

So my dad takes my rmz450 to the shop today to have the the cam chain adjusted and when he gets home he tells my that they went ahead and put a new plug in it while they where at it. So I asked if he made sure to replace it with a 10 series plug and he says the shop didn't have any in stock. So I assume they put a cr8ek or eb or whatever (I will check tomorrow).

The question is, will it hurt the motor if I'm not running the wider gap plug? Thanks

The number on the plug(CR10 or CR8 etc) has nothing to do with the gap. It is the heat range of the Plug. The correct plug is a CR9EIB if you can get them. The manual say a CR8EIB, bit it is a misprint, which is Info I have from the European Factory team first Hand.

the manual says CR8EIB-10. the question is do I need the wider gap plug indicated by the -10 part, and will it harm the motor to run a CR8EB? Thanks

You need to set the spark plug gap according to the manual, regardless of what plug you put in. Every new plug I've checked has had the correct gap.

Take it out out and measure the gap if you're concerned.