Sign in to follow this  

First Valve Clearance results

Just finished the break-in on my new 05. Rode first day for 5 hours. Changed Oil/Filter. Rode second day for 4 hours then changed oil/filter. this is what I got on the first clearance check.

Intake Right .006

Intake Left .007

book says .006 + - .001

Exhaust .013 on both

book says .011 + - .001 so I am .001 on the sloppy side.

Am I splitting hairs? should I adjust that .001 on the exhaust or let her go another 20 hours or so? :applause:

I do not race. woods and logging road riding. I never have enough room to run it wide open anyway.

Recommendations greatly appreciated.

man, if it was me, i'd just ride it. i didn't know to check my valves until i'd ridden it for a few months, and i'm fine. i don't know what the others will tell you though.

Hey....I work for Toyota. I know they don't build bikes, bit I know the japaneese. If that exhaust side gets ANY worse I'd be shocked. Maybe after six or eight months you may check it again......but for now, don't sweat it.

Ride it, if the valves get tight, you'll know it beacase it will get a lot easier to kick over and harder to start. If your just trail riding and not reving it to the moon, they will probably stay in spec for a while. I wouldn't sweat .001

I guess I am on the fence on this one. If the valves were too tight by .002, I would definitely adjust them, but since they are loose, I might let them go.

I am by no means a mechanic, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think a little loose is anywhere near as bad as too tight.

I guess I am on the fence on this one. If the valves were too tight by .002, I would definitely adjust them, but since they are loose, I might let them go.

I am by no means a mechanic, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think a little loose is anywhere near as bad as too tight.

I am a mechanic on cars at least and nI agree here if your not looking for every last little bit of hp and they are loose by .002" screw it but tight is a different story loose valves are much better than tight they would have to be WAY loose to cause any damage

Bryce

Interesting thread.............50/50 verdict... :applause:

Based on what I read here and see at the tracks I would adjust them - seems to me less wear in the long run.....and you need to get used to checking and adjusting this is a good place/time to start :eek:

Hey....I work for Toyota. I know they don't build bikes, bit I know the japaneese. If that exhaust side gets ANY worse I'd be shocked. Maybe after six or eight months you may check it again......but for now, don't sweat it.

Did you know though that Yamaha build the Celica motors for Toyota?

Also Yamaha build the engine in the landcruiser 100 series 4.2 litre factory turbo diesel and also make a marine version with like 250KWs!!!!!!

Yamaha have been making Toyota motors for while now

I still say ride it because .001" could depend on the "feel" of the person using the feeler gauge. You could get 3 different people to measure it and get 3 different measurements.

Don't adjust them. At the next adjustment check, if the clearance is the same or greater adjust them. If the clearance is less and within tolerances, problem solved.

Had the same problem when I checked mine at the start of the season....leave them. The exhaust are fine...HOWEVER, pay close attention to the intakes. Mine were good start of the season and I just replaced them after about 10 rides....they were done!!

mine have been at .003 and .005 for god knows how long..

just ride it..

Thanks much for the info from all..

kinda like waiting to see which presidential candidate is going to win! wow

all points taken and considered.

much appreciated!

you need to reshim the exhaust valves the intakes are good. Check the gage your using and make sure the bike has all the timing marks lined up first. You can rock the crank just a little each way to see if the valve clearance changes. It is always better to have the crf 450 valves loose compared to tight. although when within the mfg spec is where the bike power will be the best. always follow the honda bible. they give those numbers for a reason. go up a couple shim sizes on the exhaust valves it will put them right in spec.

If it were mine, I would order the shims needed and get them in spec. On the other hand, if I wanted to ride the bike before the shims came in, I wouldn't hesitate to go ahead and ride it. :applause: I am a bit of a maintenance freak. In fact, I just turned 20 hours yesterday on my '05, and am headed out to the garage to check the valve clearances for the third time. Once at break-in, once at 10 hours, and now at 20 hours. They were good so far, and I will post what I find today.