Sign in to follow this  

Crf Inlet Valves

I just read a thread about a transmission failure on the X model, in which one of the replies mentions that it is a random event just like the crf valve issue. Now the transmission failure might be, but the valve issue is far from random.

I have owned 02, 03, 04 and 05 CRF450's, and everyone of them have run the inlet valves. As far as maintenance goes, the only bikes better looked after are 'works' bikes.

Everybody I know with a CRF450 has replaced their inlet valves, and I meet quite a few people doing the national circuit as well.

A friend and distributor for Kibblewhite and Ferrea valves says he cannot keep up with demand for CRF replacement inlet valves and spring kits, a very good indication this is a wide spread problem. He is in fact the only person I know that has not had a problem with his inlet valves, but then he hardly gets to ride his bike due to family and work committments.

For further evidence that this is a wide spread problem, look to what Honda has done to the 2006 models. Something to do with seat material,... mmmm.

I state here that this problem is not an uncommon occurence, but is in fact a problem with each and every CRF sold.

I had over 100 hoiurs on both my 450's when sold and I have a CRF250 with over 70 and it hasn't had valve problems yet. 3 in a row without problems, so it can't be each and every.

so if all these problems with the INLET valves... what about the OUTLET valves?

i mean intake/exhaust ;-)

since i went to kibblewhite.. ive no problems.

I have 2 CRF motors, one '04 and one '05, not had one single problem with either motor!

04 CRF 450, 80 hrs, valve clearances still perfect. I do know that the problem is somewhat prevalent, however, so I consider myself lucky.

When you have replaced you valves what have you done with your seats?

Replace, grind, nothing...

Do the Feera valves have any coatings, or are they stainless?

Like to know

Ahhhhhh, you should have been here in the early days of the CRF valve failures. Everyone trying to find out just what the duce was going on. Good times, yes----GOOD TIMES.

"Memories, Like the corners of my mind.........." cryin.gif I'm starting to feel a little vaklempt now........gotta go. :applause: RR.

462904_m.jpg