Sign in to follow this  

2 questions

Leaded or unleaded? Steering damper really worth the money?

I run vp octane 111 in my 2001 250F. the engine has 2 hot cams and a new head with full rebuild. Dr.d pipe, uni filter, and aftermarker accelerator pump plate. will it increase horsepower any?

A friend rode my bike and suggested a steering damper for better control. please tell me what they do/how they work.

Leaded or unleaded? Steering damper really worth the money?

I run vp octane 111 in my 2001 250F. the engine has 2 hot cams and a new head with full rebuild. Dr.d pipe, uni filter, and aftermarker accelerator pump plate. will it increase horsepower any?

A friend rode my bike and suggested a steering damper for better control. please tell me what they do/how they work.

well depending on what the cylinder pressure is and the final compression ratio , and what kind of riding you are doing, and if you know how to jet for this lighter fuel,

more than likely you do not need that high of octane in that motor,

second -----you will gain more power with u4 or u2 fuel -----.

and the sty damper is general used for desert guys and or h&h and or very long fast single track guys,

it is a fluid device that mounts on the ft end and the frame and makes some damping adjustments on the steering,

i don't like them and they are not legal for some indoor events,

i have ran the pro class for years and done my share of desert h&h and single track and i hate the feel of a damper on a dirt bike, ( now on my road race stuff you have to run a damper )---

but on dirt bike stuff where you are 100 mph and under its no big deal,

if your guy said he wanted a damper your chassis is not set up as good as it could be and you have some looseness and or head shake that he did not like !!!

i remember my 01 ,02 ,03 yz 250 f and they can be set up fine to work great with no damder needed,

some guys swear by them ,

but i find they hide the input somewhat of the feel of the bike and the dirt that i need to really go fast ,

i can't have a heavy feel in the steering on a dirt bike :applause:

I can't think of any reason to go beyond the use of the VP U4 fuel. Even at full strength it's a bit much.

And, yes, consider the various pump plates. I'm under the impression that Boyeson is best but with proper tuning the stock plate can function quite well.

Lastly, I agree with Kelstr 100% about the matters of steering dampers. They have their time and place, but I don't like the hindrance on just about any trail or track.

DaveJ

http://www.boyesen.com/article/articleview/99/1/26

nitrous express sells kits for mx applications.

please tell us you are only kidding :applause:

In California, you can buy 91, not 92 anymore. you can't buy high octane fuel from airports. Nitrous express really does sell kits. I'm not joking.