Sign in to follow this  

Bone stock 230 question???

I have a "bone stock 230 question". The pipe has three bolts which holds the spark arrester assembly in place. Also there is a set screw that holds the baffle in place.

I'm a red blooded human male who loves noise and power........So i took out the baffle, and the bike kinda woke up a little.

It sounds great.....and has also grown a slightly, bigger set of nutz!

I haven't done any air box mods.......Yet.

I know all off road bikes are made to Cali emission specs, and run lean. I dont want to burn my piston so I need to know if I need to rejet now, or if I'm ok until I get ready to do the intake mods.

Anyone???Anyone??? :applause:

I pulled my baffle right off the bat, then headed out for a three-hour practice session. My seat-o-pants dyno told me there wasn't much of a boost, but my ears were trying to convince me that suddenly the little 230 had a whole stack of fresh ponies ready to fire me off into the railroad tracks. It's likely just a perception thing - but you do what you can while you're waiting on parts :applause:

Just pulling the baffle won't hurt anything while you wait for the power-up parts, you just might want to mess with the mixture at idle just a touch if you notice something weird. I get the impression you know this already, but DO NOT open up both ends (intake and exhaust) at the same time until you have the jets and needle in hand and are ready to get them into the carb.

I would say that you'll want to do the jetting and airbox mod at the same time now. After I did all three things the 230 really does wake up. The jetting is a must, I can feel a big difference now that I did all three things this last weekend. It's awesome!

-Mary

Yep, do the jetting...makes a big difference. I just pulled the top piece (whatever it's called) out of the air box. Comes right out with one finger.

I just picked up a 230 for my wife.

Pulled the snorkel out of the air box.

Pulled the baffle out the pipe.

What did you folks move up to on the jetting?

Did you do just the main or both main and pilot?

What is stock for these two jets??

Also, can anyone tell me how much oil it holds :applause:

I swear, I'm getting a manual soon. :eek:

Thanks.

G

For the jetting, I switched both Pilot, Main and I changed the needle also to what was recommended on the Jetting post. For the oil, when I changed mine it took about a quart and a half almost. I'm not sure what stock setting is for the jets though.

-Mary

I just picked up a 230 for my wife.

Pulled the snorkel out of the air box.

Pulled the baffle out the pipe.

What did you folks move up to on the jetting?

Did you do just the main or both main and pilot?

What is stock for these two jets??

Also, can anyone tell me how much oil it holds :eek:

I swear, I'm getting a manual soon. 🙂

Thanks.

G

The sticky at the top of this forum will help you out with these questions. :applause:

Hey......G-Bone......I wouldn't do both without a re jet. Being an ex-auto mechanic, I know too much air and not enough fuel will burn a piston with a quickness!

Better put the snorkel back in the box before you turn the piston into beer cans!

One or the other may be O.K. but NOT both from what I've read.

Cars engines are different from bike engines in many ways.

I asked for advice from riders with experience......There is none higher!

Hey......G-Bone......I wouldn't do both without a re jet. Being an ex-auto mechanic, I know too much air and not enough fuel will burn a piston with a quickness!

Better put the snorkel back in the box before you turn the piston into beer cans!

One or the other may be O.K. but NOT both from what I've read.

Cars engines are different from bike engines in many ways.

I asked for advice from riders with experience......There is none higher!

I here ya. :applause:

I'll be putting both back in actually.

My wife likes it quiet, and the stock power is just fine for her at this point.

As I was adjusting valves and such I just could'nt help but pull them out

and do a few laps.

Thanks all.

G

Yeah.....My wife rides my son's 80 and has a blast. She wants a quad.......but damn.....I just got the two bikes. My wallet is chewin on my ass!!!

But the 230 sounds bad as hell without the baffle!