Sign in to follow this  

valve questions

I have a few questions that maybe someone will answer although some may seem kinda stupid. I have a 05 TE250 that I really like. At 4.4hrs.I checked my valves & all but the left intake was at their minimum specs. Then at 12.3 hrs. my exhaust valves loosened up to .oo7 ? My intakes were the same. Did I maybe check them wrong the 1st time? or is it possible for them to loosen after the initial breakin? Also while getting the timing marks aligned is it easier to take the sparkplug out for less compression? I just used the kickstarter with the sparkplug in. The manual says to put it in gear & bump the rear wheel after taking the sparkplug out. Would the compression release do the same as taking the sparkplug out? & finally should the valve cover bolts be torqued & at what setting. I used 95"lbs. which equates to about 8ft lbs. & how often should the valves be checked. Information is what this forum is all about, right!! :applause::eek:

With a 250 you're turning higher rpm like I do with my Husky Supermoto. Anyway, yes, I've seen valves move in as little as 2.5 hours. Don't fret though: the valves seem to settle in and move "slower" after a period of time.

When you set the valves, pull the plug, it is a lot easier. And if you get the rear wheel off the ground, it is easier to stick the bike into 1st and roll the engine over by hand to get the cams into position.

That's odd that it would suddenly jump up to .007. Usually the clearances get tighter as things wear and seat in. I wonder if you're comp release was putting a little pressure on the exhaust side? Or perhaps the cam lobes were not pointed directly up the first time around? Hard to say at this point....

With the manufactoros spec of 6 to 8 on the exhaust side, then when it was at "minimum" it must have been at .006" so .007" is one thousands change. I would not consider that "jumped". That is dead center in the middle of spec.

As for turning the engine over, much easier if you put the transmission in top gear, hold the compresion release with left hand & roll the tire with your right.

If you want full instruction on how to check the valves, go to KTMtalk.com, select the valve adjustment section, the find the article I wrote on valve adjustment on the SXF. Thru the "checking" section it is the same except the spec,

Husky; intake 4 to 6, exhaust 6 to 8

SFX; intake 4 to 8, exhaust 5 to 81/2.

The clearance shouldn't open up unless you have something between the valve seat and the valve or the rocker/cam has worn :applause:

I just got my SMR450 back from it's 10000k service and the clearance hasn't need an adjustment since new!!! A little 2 stroke from time to time helps. :eek: