Sign in to follow this  

If you own an X you MUST READ this !!!!!!

Have you seen the thickness of your clutch cover?

Hopefully not. I saw mine after a (believed to be) walnut sized rock put a hole in it. Your cover is near 1 mm thick.I never even knew it happened until I stopped for a rest. I glanced at my bike and saw my clutch & pushed my bike for 4 miles through East Coast woods. 😛

Prior to this happening I purchased the new Works Connection (WC) "full Skid Plate" only for protection from this occurrence. must say the plate is made well and dose provide very good protection to most of the engine, butThe Works Connection plate falls way short in protecting the most fragile part of your engine's case. The plate stops short of the clutch cover by about 1/4". It even has such an angle that it clearly guided the rock toward the clutch cover. There is a visable scratch on the plate indicating the directional path of the rock.

WC people were shocked and stated the were disappointed to here of my experience, and that they spent many hours refining the product. They also stated that they chose to leave the plate like it is to prevent one's foot from hanging up on the plate when appling the brake. My reply to this is that there are at least two other variations that could have been employed to the plate to prevent this occurrence.

After a week of emails and conversations the only resolve WC offed was to return my plate for refund. I believe that none of you would be happy with that. That's like eating a burger that gives you E-colie (sp?) and refunding your $00.99 :applause::eek:🙂😛😛

I now need to disassemble inspect and reassemble my entire Trani.

Gaskets, bearings, clutch, cover, fluids = $500.00, never mind labor and lost riding time. Additionally at the end of the day, I still have the same skid plate providing NO protection in this area. 😛😛

My advice to you.

Research your skidplate purchase carefully. Be sure it offers the needed protection for the clutch cover, as Works Connections dose not. If you have a WC plate let me know and I have some ideas for mods to better protect your cover.

I have pics but I will need some time to post them in a reply, as I am not sure how to attach them. Keep a look out in the next week.

They are right, you can't extend the skidplate back that far because your boot will snag on it. My Flatland skidplate extended back that far and I had to trim the corner off because my boot kept snagging on it.

There just isn't enough room to extend the skidplate there.

Where were you riding?

I have a WC on my R and yes I have busted the mag side of mine, so any ideas would be good.

get a billet cover. they are stonger and allow a little more oil in the engine. joker makes them and i think a couple other companys do too

dan

Not to be rude but,....

whoever said a skid plate was suppose to protect your clutch cover? They call it a "skid plate" because it's suppose to allow the bottom of your bike to skid accross whatever it is your hitting, not so you can skid the side of your motor accross rocks. Don't blame them for your crash and burn. The direction of your scratch doesn't mean it was there fault either. Try mapping out the direction of your crash and blame yourself. Would you have been better off without there skidplate? At least they took the time to value your complaint offered you a refund.

If I fell and hit a rock with my boot and injured my knee during the crash would it be the boot manufacture's fault if I found scratch marks going up the boot towards my knee?

Thanks for letting me know how good there customer service is though, now i'll definately go out and buy there product again.

I have to agree, there is no telling how it was damaged. You said that you were stopped and noticed the damage. It could have happened in a tip over, in a rut, roost, etc. I wouldn't blame WC for this at all. And, if I was WC, I sure as heck wouldn't have refunded your money. Guess you will probably send WC a bill for your time, labor and parts? How long did you ride with it? If it was only a few miles, you really shouldn't have to replace or inspect anything.

James

If it was only a few miles, you really shouldn't have to replace or inspect anything.

James

Seriously, when I was a kid, I rode my '97 CR125 about 3 times w/ no tranny oil in it. I kept missing shifts though!

I dumped my trusty Bel Ray tranny oil in it when I figured it out and the tranny was none the less for the wear. It worked fine until I sold it some time later.

Now if you have not been using a synthetic then I would have serious concerns.

So can somebody post the website links to sites that sell a stronger tranny cover?? I'm more concerned about ruining my bike versus adding a pound or 2.

I was riding in the Deep River area.

I never Dumped the bike or crashed. I simply must have had a rock kick up from my front tire I suppose

The skid plate WC sells has wings and it is necessary for their existence as the case on this engine hangs way off each side of the frame.

As for the plate V.S. brake peddle, I believe they could have come out a slight bit more and up as well. In addition It should have less than a 90 degree bend at that point. The bend at an angle of say 45 would divert rocks away V.S. toward the cover.

As of know I have not seen any one with an AM cover for the 450X, only the R and the 250.

Honda's reply will be that they need to compete with other manufactures with regard to weight issues. it's not my stance as if I wanted the lightest bike I would purchase a two stroke. But just look at all the ads and reviews, the all talk about ounces!

Making WC out to be the 'enemy' when they gave you a full refund of their product- which ISN"T sold to protect the clutch cover, is plain wrong. Kudos to WC for backing up their product because I don't know if they even needed to do that, in your instance. Your issue is the reason why they make aftermarket, billet clutch covers, not skid plates! A hole in your clutch cover does suck, however. I hope that all turns out well for you.

Just to clarify your understanding of the situation.

1) Nobody paid me anything!

2) Nobody makes an aftermarket clutch cover.

Additionally the hole is on the bottom side of the cover toward the front.

Yes I'm sure. There is a new scratch just ahead of the hole on the plate. Also there are no scratches or bends in the break peddle at all.

P.S. The hole is the size of a quarter and the pices are gone. i have a new plate now and i am going to try the flush out first. W'ell see what comes out.

I may have mispoke about billet clutch covers. You may be right, I can't find any for CRFX on the internet. Looks to be my bad at this point. :applause:

So a clutch cover for a 450R will not fit a 450X? Rekluse has one for the R but not the X. So nobody makes them???

I received a upgraded price list from Rekluse today and they have a after market clutch cover for an CRF450X.

The RMS319-R ( red clutch cover CRF450X )

The RMS319-BLK ( black clutch cover CRF450X )

I thought you said WC offered to refund your money, even if you chose not too??? I definetly would not hold them responsible for there skid plate not protecting the clutch cover.

That definelty is a bummer though. It suprises me how thin they make this stuff, especailly on an enduro machine. I had a small crack on my clutch cover on my wr, luckily it was just a crack it only wept a very small amount of oil.